Discuss NICEIC view on PME for an outside hot tub? in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

johnstantine

Hi everybody I'm new to the forum.

I need some help with a small problem concerning PME.
I'm putting in a supply to a 32A commando socket, located on an outside wall, about 30M from cu to be used for a hot tub, there is a 30mA RCD at the cu and the supply to the house is PME. The suppliers of the tub have said the tub is class 1. I know there's a general conflict of opinion with PME outside but I'm using the job for an assesment for my NICEIC domestic installer and am interested on what there opinion is on how the PME should be dealt with. Do they say to convert to a TT, or leave as PME but install an electrode as well, or simply leave as PME.
Any comments gratefully received.
Thanks

I had a problem with a tub a couple of years ago, the tub was about a 50 mtr run of cable and I installed an isolator etc but the tub was on grass, the client kept getting shocks when climbing in when touching the water, its a bit like the cattle wires you get as your directly down to earth and getting possible 30 volts or so difference between the house earth and the mass of earth.
With a stake in the ground it brings them all together.
On the other hand I also put a supply to a pool pump house and my elecsa inspector said as it was 70 mtrs to isolate the SWA from earth and create its own TT system
Hope that helps

Reply to NICEIC view on PME for an outside hot tub? in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Evening everyone . Currently looking at pricing a job up . It’s a hot tub supply . Outside socket with a few spare ways in an outdoor cu . 10mm...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys So I've never installed a hot tub supply before so take it easy on me. I've spent a bit of time researching it myself and its a minefield...
Replies
Views
I’m a trainee electrician and would really appreciate the benefit of someone’s skill and experience on the following: Our house is a TN-C-S (100A...
Replies
Views
Hi, having new hot tub installed, PME supply on 40A breaker 6mm twin clipped direct in loft down to 32A isolator, got some 10mm 2C laying around...
Replies
Views
Just pricing up a job for a back garden hot tub (32A fixed supply, not the 13A temp type). 6mm SWA to rotary isolator etc. all fine but I'm...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock