Discuss niceic in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

Hawk

Would you say that niceic is the most recognized and acceptable scheme in the industry? Why is it that some corporate companies specify, that work be carried out by niceic registered firms?

All one of the same to a degree, but I think the NICEIC are seen to be the scheme to be with as the majority of people recognise then and would like you with them.

The NIC exists because the trade allows it to. It is the most recognised and accepted because it is the oldest and at one time it had standards which were hard to achieve and once a company was granted membership it was guarded very closely. That is the reason some organisations specify membership as a prerequisite for getting work even though the other scams present pretty much the same product.
Now anyone with a chequebook and a handful of qualifications can join, it is a parasitic organisation feeding from it's hosts-the membership. It appears to exist solely to provide a salary and pension pot to it's executive. Most of whom would not know how to hold a screwdriver let alone be able to perform in an on the job setting.
How they can then purport to be an upholder of trade standards is beyond me

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a subject that has raised its head before ... Its a mixture of misguided thinking regarding the NICEIC label been the most recognised and once the one real only option.. Many councils still ask this where as through stacking pressure others now accept other recognised scheme members especially with the rise of B&Q and many kitchen fitters etc been members of other schemes such as Nappit and Elecsa... forcing them to relax the NICEIC requirement.

From a legal point of view they can ask for membership of a certain body where this is a show of competence and standards but where there's multiple bodies that hold the same level they cannot then specify a certain scheme... many companies need to be re-educated in this and we are in a strange set up not seen by other trades where we have several bodies to pick from.

A company cannot discriminate from NICEIC and any equal body when stating its requirements the problem is its almost impossible to prove you didn't get the job because your a nappit member.

http://www.napit.org.uk/newsStory.asp?id=183

This link is from 2007 and highlights similar issues with recognition of competent members although its 7yrs old many parts of the industry still haven't moved on from the old model.

Edit ... helps if I pastethe ruddy link in doh!

Last edited:
NICEIC were around before the Modern "Schemes" started.

The people needing to specify membership of an organisation will have been in employment before the Modern schemes started so will already be familiar with the name.

In 20 years time assuming schemes and their operators survive, NICEIC may not be the one most frequently required.

Having been an old NICEIC QM for 3 companies and the QM for a DLO of a district council.....I got out of the game back in 2005 when I finally saw the changes in the NICEIC to a monetary position.

In the past the NICEIC was seen as the authority for regulation of sparking companies and contractors.....but nowadays, seems too interested in the money side of things.

Trev and Darkwood have summed it up above

The NIC exists because the trade allows it to. It is the most recognised and accepted because it is the oldest and at one time it had standards which were hard to achieve and once a company was granted membership it was guarded very closely. That is the reason some organisations specify membership as a prerequisite for getting work even though the other scams present pretty much the same product.
Now anyone with a chequebook and a handful of qualifications can join, it is a parasitic organisation feeding from it's hosts-the membership. It appears to exist solely to provide a salary and pension pot to it's executive. Most of whom would not know how to hold a screwdriver let alone be able to perform in an on the job setting.

I've removed the word "Scam". Please don't use that word, it usually attracts unwanted attention.

In that case Dan will you be going through every other thread ever posted on here because I've seen it an awful lot mate :)
Message received and understood though, could you replace that word with the phrase "regulatory bodies" please as I don't want to be seen as anti NIC

What is wrong with the word "scam"?

EDIT: Yes I know what it means, but all the scams are the same, they take your money, send endless money making offers and do nothing to rid the trade of rogues, so

I think the word scam is very accurate.

Confidence trick - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

EDIT2: Dan, don't edit this as I haven't referred to anybody, anything, or any business, directly or indirectly.

Would you say that niceic is the most recognized and acceptable scheme in the industry? Why is it that some corporate companies specify, that work be carried out by niceic registered firms?

rite:

most recognised by the general public:......without a doubt

most recognised by local authority:.....without a doubt (but the less said about that the better)

getting the message across to the general public:.....without a doubt

spending scheme members annual fees on seminars, publications & event displays etc:.....without a doubt

sorry guys...but lets face it..its true...

Doing anything about dangerous work reported to them as having been carried out by one of their approved contractors:.....never

The main reason I got out of everyday contracting/domestic works and went back to working in a factory. They don't give a hoot when you report another paid up member for dodgy works!

What is wrong with the word "scam"?

EDIT: Yes I know what it means, but all the scams are the same, they take your money, send endless money making offers and do nothing to rid the trade of rogues, so

I think the word scam is very accurate.

Confidence trick - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

EDIT2: Dan, don't edit this as I haven't referred to anybody, anything, or any business, directly or indirectly.

When you mention a company name, and then the word scam, it's likely to eventually be pulled. As if the firm is still running, it's assumed it isn't a scam until somebody takes them to court to prove otherwise.

I fight your corner with posts, and it's really really hard to get me to pull a post about your company if I think it is a scam. And I do with many. Namely the firms who cold call and cold email you lot saying they have work in your area, they just need £300 a month to send that work to you, and then never do (or do and the value doesn't cover 300 + fuel and expenses each month).

Problem is, the moment the word scam is in the thread, not only the whole thread could be pulled, but I've had an instruction from court to block the company name from being used in any thread on the forum as a whole. And that means even more people are about to be scammed.

Like you, I'm not talking about NICEIC or any other firm specifically here. But as I'm asked in this thread I'll reply in this thread.

So be clever and say what is actually going on, instead of cutting corners and saying scam. And the same message will be put across, but the thread will last a lifetime.

The biggest reason for threads being pulled is defamation, and using the word scam defames a brand or company whether it's true or not. It's only really possible to use it once the firm has closed "that was a right scam I remember that". But even that's dodgy as if another still-trading firm gets mentioned in the same thread, then they could claim we're tarnishing their brand.

Hope you understand. Let's not argue this one eh?

In that case Dan will you be going through every other thread ever posted on here because I've seen it an awful lot mate :)
Message received and understood though, could you replace that word with the phrase "regulatory bodies" please as I don't want to be seen as anti NIC

It's got to be really hard, if not impossible when mentioning any of the Scheme Providers not to include the Scam word, they all go so well together!! lol!!

When you mention a company name, and then the word scam, it's likely to eventually be pulled. As if the firm is still running, it's assumed it isn't a scam until somebody takes them to court to prove otherwise.

I fight your corner with posts, and it's really really hard to get me to pull a post about your company if I think it is a scam. And I do with many. Namely the firms who cold call and cold email you lot saying they have work in your area, they just need £300 a month to send that work to you, and then never do (or do and the value doesn't cover 300 + fuel and expenses each month).

Problem is, the moment the word scam is in the thread, not only the whole thread could be pulled, but I've had an instruction from court to block the company name from being used in any thread on the forum as a whole. And that means even more people are about to be scammed.

Like you, I'm not talking about NICEIC or any other firm specifically here. But as I'm asked in this thread I'll reply in this thread.

So be clever and say what is actually going on, instead of cutting corners and saying scam. And the same message will be put across, but the thread will last a lifetime.

The biggest reason for threads being pulled is defamation, and using the word scam defames a brand or company whether it's true or not. It's only really possible to use it once the firm has closed "that was a right scam I remember that". But even that's dodgy as if another still-trading firm gets mentioned in the same thread, then they could claim we're tarnishing their brand.

Hope you understand. Let's not argue this one eh?
lol...

amen Dan eh?....lol..

say no more....lol..lol..

In which case, generic use of the term 'the scams' or 'scams' holds no meaning as they are directionless. So I will continue to enjoy calling the scams just that.

A bigger miss representation if ever there was as it certainly something they are not engaged in the previous word is a better representation given the underhand tactics recently displayed at parliamentary committee and the subsequent meetings with government ministers to maintain their grip on the industry. Just a pity open debate is now being choked off on here with the new PC rules

wrong.

ECA is...

Reply to niceic in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net