Discuss Night storage heater, how easy to remove bricks? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I need to get a night storage heater up the stairs. I was planning to get a helper but I just wondered how easy is it to take the bricks out? Is it just a few screws on the front cover or is it more time consuming?

Its one of the older types if that's any help at all. I haven't got a picture I'm afraid, sorry!

Cheers all.

Beware - some have asbestos .......... and leave it switched off for at least 24 hours too or they will be too hot to handle
Can you reply a bit quicker next time please Murdoch, i've been waiting for ages! :)

Thanks for that, I have the list of night storage heaters with asbestos somewhere so will take that along. Any idea how easy it is to get the bricks out?

Outer front cover off, possibly top off first.
Inner cover off.
Remove bricks layer by layer , lifting the element out as you go.

If rebuilding it, remember how it came apart.:cool:
labourer = £20 = less hassle, thanks for the info snowhead.

And maybe get yourself to the Gym :confused::confused::confused:

We're here all week and happy to help.

The existing bricks might just crumble away if you attempt to remove them. Depends on old they are.

Also watch your fingertips. Agree with wearing gloves. I was repairing a storage heater last week and sliced across 3 of the fingers on my right hand just lifting off the cover. Don't bleed on the customers beige carpet!

Even with 2 guys, the 8 brick heaters are difficult to move. 12 or 16 you need to dismantle

phone your friendly wet=pants, get a quote for a decent heating system.

I've never tried to lift one but what kind if weight are we talking about.

Reply to Night storage heater, how easy to remove bricks? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net