Discuss No Certificate For New Electrics And Local Authority Demands in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

TMess

In case anyone is wondering, this is an off-shoot and connected to another thread in this forum.

We completed a garage conversion which involved Building Control. As part of the conversion, 3 new sockets were installed into the existing ring main and new spotlights daisy chained from the existing lighting circuit. An NICEIC-registered electrician undertook the work, invoiced for it, and said he would send the Part P certificate.

That was 2 months ago and we have not received the certificate or paid him despite countless phone calls on his mobile and landline, emails and text messages. All of his telephones ring (without immediately forwarding to voicemail) and his emails do not bounce. We simply cannot get hold of him.

A fellow Electricians Forums member proposed we have an Electrical Inspection Condition Report (EICR) undertaken, for a fee of £150. He said that this situation is not uncommon (!?) and he has never had a Local Authority refuse an EICR in such scenarios.

Having spoken to Building Control, they will only accept having the work 'tested' by their own sub-contractor and want a fee of £380 for this 'regularisation' work. We queried whether our newly found electrician can undertake the same 'tests' that their sub-contractor would and obviously at a much more sensible price. Their response was a firm 'no'.

Do we have any options available to us other than pay Building Control this extortionate fee? Surely they can't get away with charging such disproportionate amounts for work that any other competent person could do at the correct market price?

Any advice would very much be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: No Certificate For New Electrics And Local Authority Demands Read more: http://

I'm afraid if that is the stance of your LABC, you dont have any other option.

Consider contacting trading standard re; the un-obtainable electrician.

Re: No Certificate For New Electrics And Local Authority Demands Read more: http://

a point comes to mind here.

if the work did not involve new circuits, and it's not a special location (bathroom) or kitchen, then it's not notifiable to BC.

a point comes to mind here.

if the work did not involve new circuits, and it's not a special location (bathroom) or kitchen, then it's not notifiable to BC.
This was a garage converted into a living room. Upon mentioning your point to BC, their policy (apparently) states that any electrical work requires certification. Is there a written law somewhere that states a LABC cannot demand a certificate?

if BC were involved, as in planning , then they would require a certificate from a qualified spark , but most BC's don't bother if there have not been new circuits added.

Part P of the building regs state what is and is not notifiable.

AS far as the work is concerned a Minor Works should be acceptable which is a certificate (MEIWC) IMO.

Also have you taken this up with the NICEIC if he is useing their logo!

Sent from my Nokia 3330 brick

tell building control to shove it up their jacksey.
then remind them that under the EU freedom of labour & restrictive practices laws they have no legal power to insist you use one contractor over another , especially as youre a private property owner.
hire a electrician in a domestic installer scheme , they'll have to accept his certs.

As these seem to be" additions " this will not be notifiable. As has been said if no new circuits have been added or the Circuit protective device has not been altered it will not be notifiable.

Planning Portal - Approved Document P

Particularly read the parts on non notifiable work. This is the document that the LABC must work to. The rest is folklore.

tell building control to shove it up their jacksey.
then remind them that under the EU freedom of labour & restrictive practices laws they have no legal power to insist you use one contractor over another , especially as youre a private property owner.
hire a electrician in a domestic installer scheme , they'll have to accept his certs.
Does this apply if we are the contractor, and not the property owner where the work was undertaken?

eh ? so youre not the homeowner then ?
No. We are a contractor (general builder) who sub-contracted this sparky.

We have since let the homeowner (our client) know of the current situation. Thankfully they are more than sympathetic and are giving us the time to find a good solution.

Three theads all on the same subject?
All could have been rolled in to one.
Sorry Tony, I don't intentionally mean to make a forum 'mess' of threads. However I saw this and the other thread as entirely separate questions. Bunging them all together would create a far too long opening post.

labc do seem to get confused , which is a worry.... they all ways insist on timer fans too which acording to the elctricians guide to the build regs are only needed if the bathroom does not have a openable window

No. We are a contractor (general builder) who sub-contracted this sparky.

We have since let the homeowner (our client) know of the current situation. Thankfully they are more than sympathetic and are giving us the time to find a good solution.

to be honest , the battle with the council needs to taken up by the property owner
theres only so much you the contractor can do.
have planning fees been paid for the conversion ?
if they have i wouldnt be handing over a penny more.

labc do seem to get confused , which is a worry.... they all ways insist on timer fans too which acording to the elctricians guide to the build regs are only needed if the bathroom does not have a openable window

All depends who you speak to at BC.....which is even more of a worry. They seem to know as much about the regs as many of the "experienced, fully qualified electricians" we get on here at times....

i can't understand why they want any certificate if the electrical work is non-notifiable. the home owner should have a Minor Electrical Works Installation Certificate, but that's all.

That was 2 months ago and we have not received the certificate or paid him despite countless phone calls on his mobile and landline, emails and text messages. All of his telephones ring (without immediately forwarding to voicemail) and his emails do not bounce. We simply cannot get hold of him.

A fellow Electricians Forums member proposed we have an Electrical Inspection Condition Report (EICR) undertaken, for a fee of £150. He said that this situation is not uncommon (!?) and he has never had a Local Authority refuse an EICR in such scenarios.

Surely you are quids-in even if you do have to pay £380, as you haven't had to pay the sparky.
Btw, make sure you speak to the senior officer at LBC.

Reply to No Certificate For New Electrics And Local Authority Demands in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net