Discuss No cpc to lighting circuit, no rcd protection 50 year old wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

The Ghost

Hi just thought I'd throw this out here for a bit of light entertainment after the @Marvo thread (phew!)
So brother in law asked me to look at EICR which returned unsatisfactory. I have not looked at the installation to ascertain as to Class 1 or 2 fittings in the premises are installed. The bonding seems ok but is not verified on the water which is strange it got a tick. Or seen the DB so can't comment as yet. But there are a few things that are questionable like time for disconnection and C1 for no cpc. Also the box ticked there are no items adversely affecting electrical safety! Would be fascinating to know how he got the PFC considering Ze is .35 and PFC is 1.8Ka. Wondered what your thoughts are. Can't wait to have a look will post some piccys. Not to worry though he is NICEIC approved contractorIMG_3398.JPG IMG_3397.JPG . He/They did not want to remove lamps to test L-N IR again odd.

Hi just thought I'd throw this out here for a bit of light entertainment after the @Marvo thread (phew!)
So brother in law asked me to look at EICR which returned unsatisfactory. I have not looked at the installation to ascertain as to Class 1 or 2 fittings in the premises are installed. The bonding seems ok but is not verified on the water which is strange it got a tick. Or seen the DB so can't comment as yet. But there are a few things that are questionable like time for disconnection and C1 for no cpc. Also the box ticked there are no items adversely affecting electrical safety! Would be fascinating to know how he got the PFC considering Ze is .35 and PFC is 1.8Ka. Wondered what your thoughts are. Can't wait to have a look will post some piccys. Not to worry though he is NICEIC approved contractorView attachment 38236 View attachment 38237 . He/They did not want to remove lamps to test L-N IR again odd.
PFC could be 1.8KA due to bonding. Obviously PFC is tested with the main earthing conductor connected. The bonding could be causing a lower impedance and the lower the impedance the higher the fault current.

PFC could be 1.8KA due to bonding. Obviously PFC is tested with the main earthing conductor connected. The bonding could be causing a lower impedance and the lower the impedance the higher the fault current.
Bonding would help, but to get from 0.35 Ohms to the PFC required 240/1800 = 0.133 Ohms (say) the bonding would need to be about 0.22 Ohms by its good self . Which beats my best TT by a bit, I'm just jealous.

Bonding would help, but to get from 0.35 Ohms to the PFC required 240/1800 = 0.133 Ohms (say) the bonding would need to be about 0.22 Ohms by its good self . Which beats my best TT by a bit, I'm just jealous.
Did you ever see that thread on here where a member achieved a Ra <1 ohm....Think
It cost the company he was doing It for around 4K. IIRC there were multiple rods on top of each other on the corners of the building and a bare copper tape or similar exothermic welded to the rods. I can't seem to find the thread or even the member who posted it.

Rewire, its 50 years old. If I could get rewired I would. Stop worrying about 1.8 that 2.2 that, the cable is past its use by date by 30 years. I'd code defcon 1.
95% of the wiring in my house is 47 years old all tests out fine, in fact doing a bit of alteration tomorrow with the upstairs lighting with my obsolete black and red T&E.

Reply to No cpc to lighting circuit, no rcd protection 50 year old wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net