Discuss no earth external plastic in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Wilson12

-
Trainee
Reaction score
I know it's bad practice but.i opened up a plastic light fitting 2 stories up on the external wall and there's no earth just line and neutral.i feel it's okay but is there many reasons this is bad

if it's a class II fitting, it does noe need a cpc. however, the cable should have a cpc, even if it's not connected to the fitting.

Read chapter 41 of the bible and specifically 410.3.3 and it will give information that will best explain and help your understanding

I know it's bad practice but.i opened up a plastic light fitting 2 stories up on the external wall and there's no earth just line and neutral.i feel it's okay but is there many reasons this is bad
What would be the consequences of someone swapping for metallic one?

if it's a class II fitting, it does noe need a cpc. however, the cable should have a cpc, even if it's not connected to the fitting.
I don't quite agree. The cable doesn't need a cpc. Every point in the wiring, however, needs a cpc.

Agreed, but check out 543.6.1 which I think says it should be nearby.
What does nearby mean? next door, in the CU down stairs, come on guys get real don't take it literally, it's real life not fantasy land, nearby, for crikey s sake.

like I'm nearby to the Mersey, but not actually in it. I'd get my feet wet just walking on it. :D:D:D

Can you give us a bit more information on this so we can get a better idea of the installation method as that will have a bearing on the answer.

What sort of installation is this, domestic, commercial....?
If this is just a short flex tail to connect the light fitting to the existing wiring then I see nothing wrong with it, however if the fixed wiring up to this point doesn't include a CPC then it is a problem (unless double insulation is being used as the protective measure, but this is rare and has its own requirements in 7671)
If it is a steel conduit installation then you might have the conduit being used as the CPC so it may well be present without you realising it.

Reply to no earth external plastic in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net