Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss No earth in lighting circuit what next? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Elliott96

Elliott96 Active EF Member

Im sure this has probably been asked before in this forum but ive just upgraded a fuseboard today and found no earth in the lighting (two core). Obviously the next thing to do would be to tell the customer either rewire or change everything on that circuit to class 2 fittings and accessories, but in this case the customer didnt want to go ahead with either.... what should i do? Cutting the circuit out would be abit extreme?

2. peterhyper

peterhyper Regular EF Member

Absolutely nothing you can do. As long as you have a clear record of what you have informed the customer and stuck a warning on their consumer unit (i always take a picture when I've done it) and if they choose to not have a rewire and keep their lovely metal light switches and fittings then that's up to them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. spinlondon

spinlondon Forum Mentor

Is the circuit RCD protected?

4. snowhead

snowhead Respected Member

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    You've placed a circuit in service that has no cpc from origin?

6. Elliott96

Thats what i thought but what warning label can i use? Only found no provisions for earth do not replace insulated light fitting and accessories with metal ones. But that doesn’t really make sense seeings as they are already metal!

7. Elliott96

Yes it is! All the circuits are....

8. Elliott96

Yep... would you of left them with no lights?

9. Andy78

Andy78 Respected Member

Rather than energising a circuit with no earth and connected metal fittings ? Hard to say, what does your risk assessment say ?

Basically you've dropped a bollock and should have checked before the CU change and given the customer options at that stage.

• Agree Agree x 10
  10. spinlondon

spinlondon Forum Mentor

That’s the label you should use.
    If they ignore the advice, that’s their look out.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Elliott96

Come on you cant tell me you drop every fitting in the house before a fuseboard change???

12. Elliott96

Cheers! So should i put it on the cert as a departure, put the sticker on and get out?

13. Andy78

Andy78 Respected Member

I make an assessment of the system at the quoting stage and quote accordingly. This evening I dropped 8 light switches because a homebuyer survey had flagged up the possibility of no cpc on the lights.
    The regs require you to make sure the system is suitable for the alteration before you do the work. Fundamental principles.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  14. spinlondon

spinlondon Forum Mentor

I have a customer who has no CPC on their lighting.
    Thought she’d change the plastic switches for some brushed stainless steel ones.
    Told me she’d earthed it.
    What she did, is put a fly lead from the back box to the face plate.

• Funny Funny x 6
  15. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Moderator

You have a serious problem here. You have replaced a consumer unit and energised a circuit which does not incorporate a cpc which supplies class I fittings. It is not a departure and there is no notice you can put in place which is supported by BS7671.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1