Discuss No earth in lighting circuit what next? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Should never have swapped the board without doing proper testing before, no stickers or excuse will get you out of it, you dropped a major one and need to put it right whether it cost you or not.
The amount of people that do something as stupid as this baffles me, all about the quick buck.

So you do a full detailed check of every circuit, every socket, every light switch, every light fitting etc before you replace a consumer unit?

So you do a full detailed check of every circuit, every socket, every light switch, every light fitting etc before you replace a consumer unit?
Yes why wouldn't I, I take it you just crack and hope for the best.
The good old bang test as no place in modern society.
Agree everything in advance with the customer , charge accordingly, do the job right and I will never have to stand there saying sorry I've dropped a ............... but I'm off to the pub see you later.

It's pretty easy to establish if a lighting circuit has no cpc in, and if that is the case it is usually evident in the majority of points on the circuits. Some electricians do insist on a full eicr before a CU as a matter of course.

Should never have swapped the board without doing proper testing before, no stickers or excuse will get you out of it, you dropped a major one and need to put it right whether it cost you or not.
The amount of people that do something as stupid as this baffles me, all about the quick buck.
Bit harsh but he is right.....

So what do you guys do after you replace the consumer unit and then discover that there is no cpc continuity on one metal light switch, but the customer refuses to pay to have the issue resolved. Let's assume that you didn't check every single light switch and every single light fitting before replacing the consumer unit (as some of you definitely appear to do prior to a C/U change), do you then remove the consumer unit and reinstall the one you took out?

So what do you guys do after you replace the consumer unit and then discover that there is no cpc continuity on one metal light switch, but the customer refuses to pay to have the issue resolved. Let's assume that you didn't check every single light switch and every single light fitting before replacing the consumer unit (as some of you definitely appear to do prior to a C/U change), do you then remove the consumer unit and reinstall the one you took out?
You do what im about to do, take payment, cut the circuit out, receive a bad review...

I think this is a time to take it on the chin and do the work necessary to make it right for free. After all it was your mistake, which we all make so I am not pointing any fingers. You could put to the client you will make sure it is safe by doing the work for free (in writing of course!) if they decline then it is on their head. Or insist any metal fittings have to go again if they decline it is on their head. Anyway that is what I would do as I would never feel right or take pride in my work if I did not operate in that way.
P.S. Are you sure there is no cpc, but just cut back???

Last edited by a moderator:

I can only answer for myself, but assuming there is the presence of a cpc throughout the circuit but just not at this one point, I would refer the customer to our pre agreed terms that any unforseen rectification work would be extra and sort it out at our pre agreed rate.

I can only answer for myself, but assuming there is the presence of a cpc throughout the circuit but just not at this one point, I would refer the customer to our pre agreed terms that any unforseen rectification work would be extra and sort it out at our pre agreed rate.

But when the customer says they don't want to pay for additional work or can't afford to what do you do then. You obviously can't have a legally binding contract where they are forced to pay you for corrective work they don't want?

Last edited:
How about this:
You get a call, the guy installing the new smart meter has told someone their old Wylex 3063 fuse box is illegal and they need a new Fuse box.
Not an RCD in sight, no CPC on either lighting circuit and they have a brass 5 lamp chandelier thing in the living with a brass Heritage rope edged light switch, a couple of metal fluorescent light fittings in the kitchen and a chrome shaver socket in the bathroom.
They don’t want the place re-wired, they don’t want to replace the metal fittings with plastic, they just want a new fuse box.
Do you replace the CU and provide RCD protection for all their circuits, or do you walk away hoping nothing will go wrong?

You do what im about to do, take payment, cut the circuit out, receive a bad review...
Yes why wouldn't I, I take it you just crack and hope for the best.
The good old bang test as no place in modern society.
Agree everything in advance with the customer , charge accordingly, do the job right and I will never have to stand there saying sorry I've dropped a ............... but I'm off to the pub see you later.
So say you get a phone call to put up some metal lights , you arrive and there is no earth.... do you charge the customer for the call out?

Last edited:
But when the customer says that don't want to pay for additional work or can't afford to what do you do then. You obviously can't have a legally binding contract where they are forced to pay you for corrective work they don't want?
If it was the situation you describe I would correct the fault at my own cost. The way I work I include for a full day's labour with every CU change, so if there are faults that fit into that timescale it's materials only.
I have never been in that situation yet though as I go into a CU change as informed as I can be. If a customer doesn't like the sound of possible remedial work at an agreed rate I would insist on an EICR or not do the job. Neither of those has ever been necessary though.
I have had plenty jobs with unexpected little bits, but none that have gone into a second chargeable day that I can recall.

Reply to No earth in lighting circuit what next? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net