Discuss No earth in lighting circuit what next? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A few dead tests beforehand and informing the client who would've said no just change the cu wouldve cost you a bit of time...well not much but you could've saved yourself the hassle of changing this board walked away and not have to have worried about this job.
This client may present to be a problem in the future...what if another electrician goes there sees youve changed the board and is of the opinion of most of the people replying and thinks 'ooo rough, i wouldnt have done that' the client names you and then you get a bad rep.
that hour (if that) of dead tests where you could've explained to the client and walked away, begs the question whats more valuable a little bit of time or your reputation?

If you had done the tests and then informed the client there were faults and they were happy for you to rectify them...bonus...you can factor this into a new price agreed with them that includes the time spent doing pre checks.

When I did a simple CU replacement, I’d allow day & half labour. Never priced to do EICR beforehand. However the day before (or whatever), I’d do some testing (as described by others), to make sure there were no issues; I know many others here do the same.
If there were, that would be extra to rectify. But I certainly wouldn’t, as others are suggesting here, do it free of charge.

There seems to be a few opinions that the O.P should correct the situation free of charge.
The Customer has already said no to alterations.

What next when the O.P says to the customer that he's going to rip plaster off the walls to rewire with T&E to all the switch points and rip up floor boards to get to lighting points free of charge and the customer still says No or says if so then the O.P will have to pay to have the whole house redecorated?

There seems to be a few opinions that the O.P should correct the situation free of charge.
The Customer has already said no to alterations.

What next when the O.P says to the customer that he's going to rip plaster off the walls to rewire with T&E to all the switch points and rip up floor boards to get to lighting points free of charge and the customer still says No or says if so then the O.P will have to pay to have the whole house redecorated?

Why shouldn't he redecorate the entire house because it's his fault there isn't a cpc on the lighting circuit. As a further measure of good will he could also do an extension on the house as well.

Nothing can be done if the Owner will not permit it. I have had one where I saw that an RCD was required in a Special Location but not present. I had the necessary Wylex RCBO to hand and offered to "just do it" for its cost price and was refused. Still bothers me.

Nothing can be done if the Owner will not permit it. I have had one where I saw that an RCD was required in a Special Location but not present. I had the necessary Wylex RCBO to hand and offered to "just do it" for its cost price and was refused. Still bothers me.

Exactly, i dont even think its the cost shes worried about, its more the chasing out the walls or having crappy accessories in her posh flat.

Its all to do with cost isnt it... i dont charge for quotes on a fuseboard but after this i will be.

No need to charge for quotes. The way I approach it is to have a good visual assessment and a few pertinent tests upon quoting. Needn't take more than 15 minutes. If I think there may be issues based on the age and/or state of the install I will offer to test fully beforehand and give a fully informed opinion to the customer, charging just for the testing if they decide not to have the board swapped.

In terms of re-cabling, I have had some luck pulling cables down into switches through the original conduit of older installations. But you do need top access.

That's always nice, and there are a lot of houses round here with those drops. Originally housed the VIR singles into wooden flush boxes. Can't fit more than a 1mm twin and 1mm 3core down them though, so don't always get away with no chasing.

Reply to No earth in lighting circuit what next? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net