Discuss No earth in lighting circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

evo666

HI Guys

Hope Santa was good to you all :D

Something I have not come across before and was hoping someone could point me n the right direction. My mother inlaw wants me to put up a light in her Kitchen. The fitting needs to be earthed but there is no main earth in the light circuit. How do I do it?? Do I need to go back to the CPU or can it be taken from elsewhere??

Thanks and a good new year to you all

Roger

needs to go back to the CU. if you take it from a socket, and somebody later does work on the socket and removes it then the light wont be earthed.

Best thing to do is rewire downstairs lights, but they generally dont want all the cost and mess as they will only see the beniffit in the new light fitting.
You could Run a seperate Earth to new fitting
or alternativiny return the light fitting to the shop and exchange it for a double insulated fitting.

Paul

Any new installation must comply with 17th edition. This means that light fittings such as the one you are describing need to be earthed in order to comply. If the current circuit doesn't have an earth, you will have to provide one. How you do that is up to you. You don't need to make the whole of the existing install comply; just the additional bit that you are adding.
Generally speaking each circuit has its own earth wire, and the only place these come together is on the earth terminal in the CU. It is not accepted practice to "borrow" earths from another circuit, so I would suggest you run a new one from the fitting back to the CU.
Hope this halps
Randyrat

Reply to No earth in lighting circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock