Discuss no earth terminal. what would you do? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

It’s no different to the earth terminal that comes in a new back box anyway. All they are is a screw at the back and not the side. I would probably lug the cable and fit a self taper myself but thats me being over ----.

Don’t worry Tel we know you ain’t no cowboy but sometimes needs must.

would have preferred a pan head screw and ring crimps, but none in van. no wholesaler close, customer gone walkies so could not leave site. so far only 4 switches done, so might alter when back on site.

The thing that causes hassle Tel is the original bodge installer fixing the box with a bleddy great nail. If it was a screw I'd replace it with a new slightly bigger one and put the cpcs under it [making sure any paint or corrosion is removed in that area],either ring crimps on the cpc/s or a washer. Fair play to you for posting up the picture, I'm sure there's at least 3 of us on here who aren't perfect. :rolleyes:

The thing that causes hassle Tel is the original bodge installer fixing the box with a bleddy great nail. If it was a screw I'd replace it with a new slightly bigger one and put the cpcs under it [making sure any paint or corrosion is removed in that area],either ring crimps on the cpc/s or a washer. Fair play to you for posting up the picture, I'm sure there's at least 3 of us on here who aren't perfect. :rolleyes:
anyone who claims to know everything is a liar and a heathen

would be nice to do that, but box nailed in, 1950's plaster tight round box. getting box out would lead to the room needing redecorating. sometimes you need to balance the costs. already re-used the original capped channels to save chasing.

I like the look of those Deta chaps...but in the field, it's a different world when you have to make do with what you've got.
I agree that drilling and tapping is tricky in situ due to the masonry drill messing up the hole in the back box. At the end of the day, when all's said and done, and in the final analysis, going forward...(UGHH!)
if it is tight, fast, does the job, well what more can you expect...it's a CPC and it is solid.
Personally, I have found that many of the modern screws are excellent at self-tapping and providing a really good hold, so when fastening to metal I drill a small pilot hole and then, by hand, screw a woodscrew of the Turbo Ultra Gold type in, with a suitably sized washer on it. By hand, you can just tell when it's nice and solid, by virtue of your own built-in torque sensor in your wrist. Also, if the stonework is very close behind, the sharp points on such screws will easily penetrate to allow the full screw depth to be accommodated. It's all about a solid connection. Looks like a good job to me, Tel!

"anyone who claims to know everything is a liar and a heathen"
True, but in my retirement I have learnt so many songs that I can now confidently say that if you give me a name, boy or girl, I can find a song with that name in it...and because I am an old git, I know I have done this before!
Anyway, leave a safe job...Tel, you did.

"anyone who claims to know everything is a liar and a heathen"
True, but in my retirement I have learnt so many songs that I can now confidently say that if you give me a name, boy or girl, I can find a song with that name in it...and because I am an old git, I know I have done this before!
Anyway, leave a safe job...Tel, you did.
well, i'm not going to give you dililah, even if it is the best cover alex harvey did and SCFC anthem, so how about coming upwith a song with Olga or Grazynya in the title???? hmmmm. :D:D:D.

I do like those, Lucien, use them a bit, but frankly don't always carry them in my toolbag...however, if I knew I was returning to the job, I would do what Tel did, and then beef it up on the next trip.
They are good, though!

my old man served in North Africa WW2. being bombed by the krauts, he wished for a pair of 20mm Oerlikons. as it was he had to make do with shooting at them with a Lee Enfield .303. you use what you have to hand.

These are handy screws.......i always grab a hand full every time the ceiling fixers are on site!
View attachment 43840
i would have used same if i'd got them with me. still a lot of work to do there so will alter with ring crimps. but customer needs lights today.

Reply to no earth terminal. what would you do? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net