Discuss no earth to a socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

buzzlightyear

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
customer rings up ,I had a electrician round to put some sockets fronts in
the front room
and he told me you can use the sockets bar the socket for TV ,has no earth to it .
the spark is on holiday it had me think says the customer having no earth to the socket .
can you came and have a look ,turn up why did the spark not disconnect from the circuit I told the customer so you cant use it .
he also change the fuses from rewireble to those flick switches, you mean
wylex mcb yes
ok let me have a look at the socket and see why no earth.
holly F**K did the spark not tell you have VIR cable in that socket
and no earth sleeving .no said the customer.
I open the c/u most circuits had VIR cables on the lighting all sockets circuits
I'm afraid you need a rewire and a up grade of that old consumer unit
now the customer replays' back I have just move in weeks ago
cant afford a rewire.
where did you move from then, Yorkshire. mmmm. says it all .

customer rings up ,I had a electrician round to put some sockets fronts in
the front room.
and he told me you can use the sockets bar the socket for TV ,has no earth to it .
the spark is on holiday. it had me think says the customer having no earth to that socket .
can you came round and have a look ,turn up why did the spark not disconnect from the circuit I told the customer .so you cant use it .
he also change the fuses from rewireble to those flick switches, you mean wylex mcb yes.
ok let me have a look at the socket and see why you have no earth.
holly F**K did the spark not tell you have VIR cable in that socket
and no earth sleeving the customer said no.
I open the c/u most circuits had VIR cables on the lighting circuit all sockets circuits.
I'm afraid you need a rewire and a up grade of that old consumer unit
now the customer replays' back I have just move in weeks ago cant afford a rewire.
where did you move from then, Yorkshire. mmmm. says it all .!
is that ok
no earth to a socket {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Last edited:
there is actually a paragraph in approved doc P about VIR cables being beyond there service life.... handy if you get a customer that thinks your making it up because its been fine for 50 years yada yada!!!

About 10-12 years ago I actually did a CU change with all VIR cabling, couldn't believe it as they were like new and tested out perfectly, that's the only time though. It must have been the environment they were in or they were installed later than most.

some of the circuits like the lighting on VIR cable had class 1 light fitting on and metal back boxes in .no doubt it would pass I/R .
I have left it to the customer to think about .

The last few times I've seen it it has literally been crumbling with any bends. Only once in the last 10 year's have I seen it in good condition and I have to say it was good, wasn't working at it but had a quick look

Reply to no earth to a socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock