Discuss no earth in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Totally agree, and can't see the issue here. When I find installations with bad earth connections, UKPN treat it as an emergency, and if they can't get out straight away, they'll certainly be out within 48 hours.

Which power company is that? YNEDL or what ever they call themselves these days just will not send anyone out to pme the cut out, almost as if it cost too much?.

And hows this for paralasys by analasys. About 10 years ago I got a call from a couple in the Alwoodley area of Leeds to say that YEDL had disconnected them due to no equipotential bond on the usual, on older properties. It wouldn't have done them any good at that time as there were no main earth, or spike.

They were told from the network engineer that their electrical installation was dangerous and he was duty bound to disconnect it. And that they should contact an electrician to install the equipotential bonds, and they would be straight back to reconnect them. Hence they became new customers as I carried out the bonds to gas and water, 100ma rcd and an earth spike.

It took them 2 weeks to get reconnected, and the same engineer that came out didn't even bother to pme the system. They had to tolerate another six months of B.S. and nuisance trips. He even had the cheek to say that my method of checking the resistance value of the spike wasn't good enough. And that I should have carried out an earth loop test to obtain a ZE value? I wasn't there at the time but I wish I had of been.

well Archy...
i have it on good information the current trend for growers is to erect a kind of `tent` in the loft...this shields any horticultural activities from `prying eyes`..

i also have it on good information that the current trend for growers is erm...well, nicking current....

I was asked by a dodgy looking geezer to install aircon in an old barn down in Lincolnshire with a remote control on it. He must have been doing a bit of homework on cooling because he asked me to oversize it. He wouldn't tell me why he wanted the remote. But there were a number of people scattered around and about with walkie talkies...

Just a note for engineer 54, it doesnt half to be an earth rod to make it TT,any permenently fixed earth source will suffice.

Nah he is a good egg, but gets a bit sick when people dont fully understand what he has explained on these forums a few 1000 times.

With regards to TT systems i would say he and a couple of others on here, you could best describe as TT Guru`s. :)

Which power company is that? YNEDL or what ever they call themselves these days just will not send anyone out to pme the cut out, almost as if it cost too much?.

And hows this for paralasys by analasys. About 10 years ago I got a call from a couple in the Alwoodley area of Leeds to say that YEDL had disconnected them due to no equipotential bond on the usual, on older properties. It wouldn't have done them any good at that time as there were no main earth, or spike.

They were told from the network engineer that their electrical installation was dangerous and he was duty bound to disconnect it. And that they should contact an electrician to install the equipotential bonds, and they would be straight back to reconnect them. Hence they became new customers as I carried out the bonds to gas and water, 100ma rcd and an earth spike.

It took them 2 weeks to get reconnected, and the same engineer that came out didn't even bother to pme the system. They had to tolerate another six months of B.S. and nuisance trips. He even had the cheek to say that my method of checking the resistance value of the spike wasn't good enough. And that I should have carried out an earth loop test to obtain a ZE value? I wasn't there at the time but I wish I had of been.
not cosha...but would/should have provided an earth path...

Bring it on! Can anyone advise me on staying with the thread, I keep having to leave then return to view updates or make comments, cheers.

an instructor who i did the 2391 with told me about the time he used to work at sharlston pit..
he said they had been trying for years to get a stable earth....
there was an old tractor engine block in a field out the back of the pit....they found that no matter what the weather was like the Ra was stable on this....so thats what they ended up using as the main earthing `spike`....
he said they used it right until the pit closed.....

Absolute, how many times have you had an Ra reading of 150 or more and then carried out the same test on the incoming water main and found a reading of 20 etc, Im not saying you can use a water main as a stable earth you cant(plastic pipes etc) but if its sound and reliable then bobs your teapot.

Oh yes, but very often right so put your tin hat on haha

He's right most of the time, there's no doubt he knows what he's talking about!, comes to something when it's pretty much only Tony that can successfully correct him!.

Right you have all been warned about mentioning TT systems when there's a chance E54 will jump out the coffin that he's kept in, all we need now is for someone to throw exporting a PME into the equation and he will be straight on his soap box!!.

What is that?

Well back in the old days before everything was individually wrapped in plastic, soap used to be delivered to the shops in wooden boxes. These were called soap boxes, and folk who thought they had something to say to other folk would stand on them to gain a bit of height while they were saying what they wanted to say. Often used at Speakers' Corner in Hyde Park (that's in London I believe) :)

Reply to no earth in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net