Discuss NO Emergency stop points in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been asked by a client to fit 10 NO Emergency stops points in a training facility. My question is has anyone fitted these before (I'm guessing the answer is yes) why would a switch like this be used for emergency stop?

he request is also to fit 10 NO fused spurs too.

Am I being naive here or has it just been too long of a week.... Please help!

What are the stops going to control. How is it going to be reset. What is a N/O fused spur.

Not sure he knows what he means tbh, they are a smart meter installation company, they will in some way control the training boards that the apprentices will be taught the job on, trouble is the big boss man who has specified these was far too busy to meet with the likes of me so lack of detail here to say the least. No idea what a NO fused spur is either????

A request is one thing, knowing the strict regulations around such a requirement is another, do not dig yourself into a hole here that would see you liable for any accidents resulting in a failure of such a system due to poor design and/or breach of regulations.
This requires a monitored circuit design, it will normally require a key holder to power up and/or reset after a E-stop operation and be designed in a fail-safe manner... this means N/O E-stops will not be in the design... I believe the spurs will require to be energised via a contactor which will be N/O when it is not energised.

It seems that the cart is leading the horse here, if you have no experience of such safety circuits then walk away, I would if I was asked this be notifying them that their requests would not meet regulations and then offer them a alternative design that satisfies how they want it to work but does so to requirements following a risk assessment to establish what level of protection is required.

Last edited:
Yeah maybe, that was my first thought but after speaking with a friend in the game he suggested it could mean "Normally Open", I believe from some research I've done on this notion that there is such a thing but these are more commonly used in PLC environments to control machinery

What are the 'emergency stop' points doing, and a request is one thing, knowing the strict regulations around such a requirement is another, do not dig yourself into a hole here that would see you liable for any accidents resulting in a failure of such a system due to poor design and/or breach of regulations.
This requires a monitored circuit design, it will normally require a key holder to power up and/or reset after a E-stop operation and be designed in a fail-safe manner... this means N/O E-stops will not be in the design... I believe the spurs will require to be energised via a contactor which will be N/O when it is not energised.
Very well put darkwood, yes indeed.

Yeah maybe, that was my first thought but after speaking with a friend in the game he suggested it could mean "Normally Open", I believe from some research I've done on this notion that there is such a thing but these are more commonly used in PLC environments to control machinery
A contactor suitably sized to control, via an E/M key opperated Stop button a radial circuit consisting of 10 fused spur units, a simple job really, if you know what you are doing.

Probably a rudimentary system with a contactor controlled dist bd with the control circuit run through N/C key controlled push stops with one at the board for overall control.

Thanks Pete999, so I'm clear are you saying that "NO" does stand for normally open and that if one of these was used in the scenario i'm describing without an estop then this would be unsafe?
No I'm saying the "NO" stands for NUMBER OF, as in No.

Thanks Pete999, so I'm clear are you saying that "NO" does stand for normally open and that if one of these was used in the scenario i'm describing without an estop then this would be unsafe?
Yes the NO should probably be No (Number of) and the stop buttons would be N/C (Normally Closed).

Reply to NO Emergency stop points in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net