Discuss No inner peace in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

Chrishands

Im a qual electrician working as a maintenance engineer i was thinking of joining a body like napit ect so i could undertake notifiable jobs. however i have done a few minor non notifiable jobs and the things i find scare me.
Today i changed a few light fittings but the consumer unit had missing mcbs and exposed bus bar! as it was a c1 i immediately made safe by glueing a plastic card over the hole however i dont have time or registration to replace fuseboard. i have advised owner but dont feel like its enough

My question is do you find inner peace in your work or do you constantly feel anxious of work done incase you missed something?

Inner peace comes from knowing exactly what you should be doing, and doing it. Issuing certification that proves you have done things correctly, and having the correct insurances in place should something out of the blue pop its head up is also essential to a good nights sleep.

If I find something that requires it, a danger notification covers me until such time as the customer will arrange for me, or others, to fix the dangerous situation.

Some din rail mounted blanks would have sufficed in your case and would not have been notifiable.

personally I sleep well at night. There is a method and checklists and tests. If you have been careful and diligent there should not be anything to worry about. If you see something like that C1 then dont forget to advise the customer in writing with recommendations as to the remedy. It is up to the customer to make that decision. All you can do is advise. If you take action without the customers knowledge and something goes wrong you may wish you did not interfere later. One thing I always do before leaving site is what I call the Idiot check. That is to pan back and look very carefully what I have done and how I have left things. That helps as well. Try not to look at the back of your own head!

Im a qual electrician working as a maintenance engineer i was thinking of joining a body like napit ect so i could undertake notifiable jobs. however i have done a few minor non notifiable jobs and the things i find scare me.
Today i changed a few light fittings but the consumer unit had missing mcbs and exposed bus bar! as it was a c1 i immediately made safe by glueing a plastic card over the hole however i dont have time or registration to replace fuseboard. i have advised owner but dont feel like its enough

My question is do you find inner peace in your work or do you constantly feel anxious of work done incase you missed something?
Emm, I know guys with 45 years experience, not signed up with any scheme providers and doing the lot. I would be joining them.! Just MO.

Why does a few blanks missing from a CU scare you, you aquire loads of them over the years I certainly wouldn't consider it an immediate danger.

Why does a few blanks missing from a CU scare you, you aquire loads of them over the years I certainly wouldn't consider it an immediate danger.
So what about when the lights trip and the dozy tenant feels around in the dark to turn the breaker on and gets 100amps worth.

So what about when the lights trip and the dozy tenant feels around in the dark to turn the breaker on and gets 100amps worth.
You blanked it off, probably ruined the board at the same time by gluing it on mind you. No one will have 100A running through them, you get into this sort of work you will see more than a few blanks missing.

I'm going to be pedantic here. They wouldn't get '100 Amp's worth' - they would get whatever Ohm's law allowed them to get based on the supply voltage and their body resistance at the time. Daz

Yes Daz, pedantic but point well made and fully understood!

As Westward10 said, you have blanks use them then C1 immediately cancelled. If you don't have blanks on board then go out get some following this wake up. I know part of an EICR is not to do the remedial work but to not do anything and just report is ridiculous. We are professionals and know what is right and what is wrong.

As Westward10 said, you have blanks use them then C1 immediately cancelled. If you don't have blanks on board then go out get some following this wake up. I know part of an EICR is not to do the remedial work but to not do anything and just report is ridiculous. We are professionals and know what is right and what is wrong.

Part of an periodic inspection is to make any immediately dangerous situation safe where practicable and with the owners permission. This is following the EAWR and BS7671. So yes, part of it is to do remedial work.

Reply to No inner peace in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock