Discuss No madam I cannot move your service head in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello people

ow the joys of domestics and expectations of clients.
The home owner is having the entire ground floor gutted and renovated, the fuse board and service head needs to be taken from the wall that will be removed and relocated 3 meters away.
The TN-CS service had been installed with SWA with slack so it could in theory be moved however I most defiantly will not be touching it and i have advised my client the supply authority MUST only carry that out, no doubt a cowboy will get the job as he will move the head but this is a different story.
Also all switches and sockets need to be moved on the ground floor, all the existing ground floor circuits will also need to be crimped and extended over to the new DB location.
would it be unfair to say a full rewire on the ground floor and only extend final circuits serving the non renovated floors?
Does anyone know the penalty for moving supply authority equipment or and scripture i can attach to my estimate that will deter the cheaper cowboy/service head movers from being an option.

I would simply write on the estimate the moving the service head and meter can only be conducted by the suppliers and that the customer needs to contact them for pricing and timescales....

Sure some sparks may be tempted to do it but they normally arrive by horse!

Ah the good old general public. They know the cost of everything, but the value of nothing. If they don't like your price, or admit theyre getting someone to move it anyway just say "thanks for opportunity, and by the way, I have a friend who's a vet, but he's doing dental work for a cut price if you're interested? What could go wrong?"

Nothing wrong with the general public.
As long as you remember they're all mentally unbalanced.
Especially where money is concerned, and of course they all know more about the job they're asking us to carry out than we do.
My pet hate when we used to do domestic were the immortal words: My husband is a Carpenter, Mechanic, Plumber etc etc and knows all about Electrics. He said it's just a simple job & of course he'd do it himself if he wasn't so busy :mad:
Yes madam but the reason you called us, was your husband blew up the last simple little job he did. :eek: :D

Last edited by a moderator:
That general public who knows about electrics :eek: these days they can get the right gear loaded onto the horse even if they mess up

In my day we had a better class of Jockey, a guy named Joe public,he was equipped with Tin foil in his smoke packet,black corded insulation tape,a pair of pliers,oh and some bell wire :)

Reply to No madam I cannot move your service head in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net