Discuss No pics sorry............ in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

There’s a lot of people on this forum so far up their own a**. The way some of you talk is as though you were born with all this vast knowledge that makes you far superior to the rest of use. The handful of you that consider yourself to be superior should just make yourselves a WhatsApp group n play amongs yourselves so that other can get on and give/receive advise the way the forum was intended.

According to the certification,a local building firm to me, registered with a scheme, I have stressed to the owner that it’s not right and needs changing but as I say she’s not interested as it’s never given her any problems....has anybody seen this before and what would you do in this situation?
Deleted

Going back to the original question. If you do the kitchen install and put the new circuit in would you be doing the EIC? Just thinking of backside covering and where your concerns on other parts of the installation could be recorded. Again, I’m a ‘boil in a bag’ keen to learn and haven’t had the luxury of a four year apprenticeship but funnily enough want to do the best and safest job I can. :cool:

Hi Alan
Yes that’s what I will do,as before it’s just nice to have the reassurance of experience if anyone’s kind enough to take the time, good luck with your boiling,I’m sure you are aware there are also a lot of very experienced and positive sparks on here who will help where they can but will also tell you no if they don’t feel it’s right without insulting you,

Well it's good that at that has been aired out in the open! Anyway although I'm sure the neutral is wrong to be like that, I I'm less clear that the cpc has to be separate. As long as it checks out for adiabatic and ccc which it will almost certainly then it would be ok if it were a 4c+e wouldn't it? Anyone know if there's a reg preventing it?

The OP has stated he is qualified and experienced within the area of domestic wiring and has acknowledged that there are higher levels of knowledge and experience. I see no need to castigate the OP because that is his exlusive experience and skillset. Bear in mind you "real" electricians if put in a house and asked to rewire it would probably make a pigs ear out of it. If there were no such people then you real electricians would have to do all the house bashing which you would not want to do. So there is a gap in the market. House rewires are really not the complex end of electrics we all know it. Nevertheless it has a place. Really speaking there is no advice to give. Whoever did the wiring was wrong in the way they did it. I would advise the customer to get the person back to rectify it.
But that aside your question has been answered @paullyons in that you would note the problem on the certificate. Clearly there is a borrowed neutral which can lead to the situation of isolating one circuit and the potential for being electrocuted while beleiving it is dead. Personally I would not work on such an installation, without the owner allowing rectification of the problem or getting the person who did it back to sort it out.

It is an unusual thing to do and yes they can share a cpc but not the neutral, theoretically it could overload if two 10A protective devices are employed. It is possible this cable is jointed to existing cables at some point.

Hi, my 20p view is - its one circuit with one N and one CPC that's (incorrectly) fed by two OCPD. This may give rise to danger in maintenance situations. While it's not pretty, an improvement might be to reduce to one OCPD. But this creates a division of circuits problem, so I'd rewire it.
Edit - just read they're on the same RCD (as they'd have to be) so reduce to one OCPD :) .

Reply to No pics sorry............ in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net