Discuss No power in only one room and no RCD tripped. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

RDB85

-
Trainee
Reaction score
So last night I went to put my heater on in my room, it’s one of those oil filled ones that you plug in. So went to turn on my light and no power. So checked everywhere else in the house and all working. Checked the fuse board and nothing has tripped.

So checked the plug on the heater and it’s burnt a hole in it and on the socket plate. Now I’ve unplugged everything and I’m going to reset the fuse board and see if I can get power back.

Would anyone have any suggestions as to what to check, surely it should have tripped the RCD.

Need more info, the light is dead that could be the lamp so check that, the heater could have a short in the plug top and could have burnt through and damaged the socket. Is there another socket in the room that you can plug something else in to to check if there is power?

There is also a "friendly" member on here that lives in Liverpool so maybe he will pop up in this thread.

Photos also help.

If you have a burnt socket that would point to a loose connection, best to get it sorted before you use the socket or it's associated circuit, like SWD said there is a member based up your neck of the woods who may be able to help.

As above- probably a loose connection on either the terminal in the plug, or between the plug pins and socket outlet.

As a bare minimum the plug and socket would want replacing, and a test of the circuit done to ensure all is OK.

Have you got a photo of the socket?

As SWD says, our 'friendly' local spark may be willing to have a look.

replace the plug and see if that cures the problem. otherwise pm me and i'll fix it 4 U.

Not sure if I misunderstood, but I thought you said the room lights weren't working either?

Not sure if I misunderstood, but I thought you said the room lights weren't working either?

They were not, but they are all on the same circuit, as there is one for upstairs sockets and one for upstairs lights. I reset the breaker on the RCD and they are now all working.

Ah, your original post said only one room was affected and the rest of the house was OK.

Ah, your original post said only one room was affected and the rest of the house was OK.

It was just one room, but I reset the RCD once finished then checked all the lights and sockets upstairs, to make sure there were no issues. All sorted with help and advice from the people on here.

Reply to No power in only one room and no RCD tripped. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net