Discuss No RCD for bathroom in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Nicktric

Hi I have been asked to install downlights in a bathroom and have checked the CU which is split but must be 16th as all the sockets and immersion are RCD protected and all the lights separate smokes and the cooker are not . I have one spare way. Easy option is RCBO's for unprotected circuits. It is a Legrand board can I get Legrand RCBO's or can I use other makes? Other ideas appreciated. Thanks

Will most or all RCBO's fit that board? the house was built in about 2003 old colour wiring. Do you think this is the best way or link the smokes to the lights to provide a spare way and RCD the lot? Cheers

you can feed the smokes from the lights. mostly i prefer to do that anyway as if the power to the smokes is interrupted, you know about it, as the lights will go off as well.

Im not sure which other makes of RCBO will fit the Legrand boards.

You could match one up with a mcb and be aware of the space you need for the top of the RCBO when you re fit the cover.

Im sure someone on the furum will be in the know which one will fit for you.

Yes that was my first thought but it is a 3 storey and lights in the kitchen should be RCD and bathrooms on both floors. I know I am only working in one bathroom but it would only be half a job to move the one mcb to the RCD'd bar. Just got the one spare way. Did think of placing an RCBO main switch but I won't get discrimination so I think I need to go for 3 RCBO's. Should I leave the Cooker as an MCB to avoid nuisance tripping? Nice thing about RCBO's if there is a fault with a standard RCD split board and the rcd trips and it won't reset the customer loses half the CU with RCBO's only the one circuit. I think all boards should be a mix of RCBO's and MCB's they're not that expensive.

Yes that was my first thought but it is a 3 storey and lights in the kitchen should be RCD and bathrooms on both floors. I know I am only working in one bathroom but it would only be half a job to move the one mcb to the RCD'd bar. Just got the one spare way. Did think of placing an RCBO main switch but I won't get discrimination so I think I need to go for 3 RCBO's. Should I leave the Cooker as an MCB to avoid nuisance tripping? Nice thing about RCBO's if there is a fault with a standard RCD split board and the rcd trips and it won't reset the customer loses half the CU with RCBO's only the one circuit. I think all boards should be a mix of RCBO's and MCB's they're not that expensive.

Don't know if this will help or not but it might increase your options - although the kitchen is a notifiable location it is not a special location meaning that the lights in there do not have to be rcd protected unlike lights in a bathroom. [unless you are working on the kitchen lights as well and the cabling does not meet requirements etc etc]

Reply to No RCD for bathroom in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net