Discuss No RCD on entire installation in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have done a small job of installing a radial circuit and adding a spur to a ring final circuit.
I am not too sure about the existing installation. It is in a commercial premises office type with a single phase CU. I have an issue with the fact that there is not an RCD to be found. I think there should be one but I have done mainly domestic. Would it be possible to install a stand alone 30ma RCD before the CU or does it need a new CU. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Cheers

Hi all,

I have done a small job of installing a radial circuit and adding a spur to a ring final circuit.
I am not too sure about the existing installation. It is in a commercial premises office type with a single phase CU. I have an issue with the fact that there is not an RCD to be found. I think there should be one but I have done mainly domestic. Would it be possible to install a stand alone 30ma RCD before the CU or does it need a new CU. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Cheers
Does your new work require one cables buried in walls installing a socket for example?

Does your new work require one cables buried in walls installing a socket for example?

Yes, probably 1/3 of both ring final circuits is buried in the wall with plastic capping as I can see it coming out of the wall above the suspended ceiling. The rest is run round the perimeter of the office in plastic dado trunking with sockets.

Needed to undertake a risk assessment before works were carried as this requires a Minor Works.

Yes, probably 1/3 of both ring final circuits is buried in the wall with plastic capping as I can see it coming out of the wall above the suspended ceiling. The rest is run round the perimeter of the office in plastic dado trunking with sockets.
If your cables you've installed are not in the wall then you might not need rcd protection for the cables anyway

Thought it was from an existing circuit.

The spur was from an existing circuit but I also reinstated an existing radial the had been disconnected by a previous spark. The reason it was disconnected was that they had floor sockets removed and the 2 MCB's labelled floor sockets were disconnected and removed. One of these had already been changed to a radial and was disconnected by mistake.

This radial is directly below the CU. The ring final circuit I added a spur to has cables buried in the wall.
Only the work you install needs to comply so if existing cables are in walls but the ones you install are not then you don't need an rcd for cables in the wall anyway.
If you want to improve the installation it's up to you and the paying client

Regs give 2 exceptions for not providing rcd protection to sockets up to 20amps and one is for providing one item of equipment suitably labelled for its purpose if you wanted to go down that route

Regs give 2 exceptions for not providing rcd protection to sockets up to 20amps and one is for providing one item of equipment suitably labelled for its purpose if you wanted to go down that route

So I could simply label the 2 double sockets for the servers and inform the client. Could I also label the spur as this is connected to an existing circuit.

Reply to No RCD on entire installation in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock