Discuss No RCD on entire installation in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

One double socket on the spur and 2 double sockets on the reinstated radial.
For the one double socket you could label it after confirming it with the client and checking who's in control of the said socket, but for others I'd rcd protect them as regs do say
for a specific labelled or otherwise suitably identified socket-outlet provided for connection of a particular item of equipment.

I'd check with the clients risk assessment if any and their individual needs tho

What about if the client says he would rather have an RCD installed? Would a stand alone 30ma suffice or would he need a whole new CU. Just trying to save him money as he is a regular client of mine but also want the installation to be safe.

Existing circuit note on the Minor Works, additional rcd protection not provided. Extent of Works, reconnect existing circuit to spare way...., DB.... New circuit either install an rcd socket or get the client to sign a document that additional rcd protection is not required me, fit an rcd socket.

Personally, I won't extend or add a power circuit without RCD. Just saying :)
This is a bit different to domestic so you could escape additional rcd protection whereby the socket outlet is no different to a light switch because the employer is obliged to comply with the Health and Safety Work Act 1974, the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 and the Provision and Use of Equipment Regulations 1998. Meaning any equipment connected to any socket outlet should be fit for purpose and safe to use whether rcd protected or not.

Not arguing the logic of what you say, but I wonder if the employer understands that they are now "it" ?
If that was explained to them, maybe they'd cough up the £ to mitigate their risk? It would open my corporate wallet :)

There's also the fact of do you really want the server/cabinet on an rcd?
To the op can it be hard wired into a fused spur/outlet without possible voiding the equipment warranty and does the manufacturers instructions allow this?

No room for RCBO's, CU already chock full.
I think I will speak to the client and see which direction he wants to go. I am personally leaning towards putting RCD sockets on all 3 that I have worked on. But if he chooses a main switch RCD is that something that can be done with a 30ma.

Hi Sparky - as Dave says it depends on the device and what you want it to do. If you look at Table 53.4 its got the standards and use approvals (read all the footnotes). Hope that helps :)

Reply to No RCD on entire installation in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net