Discuss No socket for gas hob in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

stratplus

Improvisation, what do you think?
No socket for gas hob {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

No it's not ok, and it is a particular bug-bear of mine. A plug is designed to have one flex connected to it, the cord grip is designed for one flex and the terminals are designed for one conductor. And for 13A plugs there's barely enough room in there for the one cable sometimes.

Just to the right there is a cooker connection plate! Wonder what they could use that for???

Answers on a postcard please plumbers :rofl:

Don't be daft, Paul.........why do you think there's a third flex......not got the cutters out yet.:6:

As a means of last resort, one of those 1 gang to 2 gang converter wall sockets could be used. Not too sure if the 3 gang versions will fit a single outlet, but then they do make 3 gang plates and surface back boxes now.... lol!!

Just to the right there is a cooker connection plate! Wonder what they could use that for???

Answers on a postcard please plumbers :rofl:
Surely not thinking of swapping it for another 13a socket are you???? lol:6:

No it's not ok, and it is a particular bug-bear of mine. A plug is designed to have one flex connected to it, the cord grip is designed for one flex and the terminals are designed for one conductor. And for 13A plugs there's barely enough room in there for the one cable sometimes.
I haven't read the new edition, but in the last code of practice for II&TEE it specifically said you can't do it. There was even a picture.

Good!

As I said its a particular bugbear of mine.
Earlier this year I got called to look at a reported electric shock incident. It turned out the 2 pieces of equipment involved were fed from a 63A SP adaptor made with a commando plug with 2 flexes in and 2 trailing sockets!

We see a lot of these at 16A in the theatre world, and the occasional 32A but this was my first 63A!

Another one that crops up too often is the 32A plug to 2x 16A socket.

Good!

As I said its a particular bugbear of mine.
Earlier this year I got called to look at a reported electric shock incident. It turned out the 2 pieces of equipment involved were fed from a 63A SP adaptor made with a commando plug with 2 flexes in and 2 trailing sockets!

We see a lot of these at 16A in the theatre world, and the occasional 32A but this was my first 63A!

Another one that crops up too often is the 32A plug to 2x 16A socket.
Ah yes, the 'theatre world', where seemingly anything goes. I used to do a bit when I was at school - we had a 63A plug with a bit of 10mm T&E to a bit of plywood with 3x double sockets on it. To be fair it did have an RCD on it so whoever put it together had some sense of safety at least. It always struck me there should have been more sockets installed in the place - there was 1x rcd socket on stage right, none on stage left except a cleaners socket forward of the proscenium arch, 1x double socket under the stage which we used for the amps, and 1x double socket on the balcony/control room which fed all the lighting and sound equipment, and a 2k followspot. Fortunately it was all wired in MI.
Once, for a larger production, we slung an extension lead out of the window of the 6th form block next door and through the window of the hall. They could have been on different phases, who knows? Nobody was killed though.

Reply to No socket for gas hob in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock