Discuss No Start - No Crank issue, starter relay help needed in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rob12

-
Reaction score
Hello guys, just found the forum while searching for electrical help with my car not starting. I have a no start no crank issue.

It's been running fine until yesterday.
Car is an Astra H 1.7 CDTI 2004.

With the ignition on, all dash lights are on but no crank.
Brand new battery fully charged, starter motor and solenoid works fine when connected direct to battery.

Using multi-meter across the starter relay switch terminals i get the following readings:

key out of ignition : 0 V
Ignition on ( with dash lights ) : 12.5 V
When key is turned to crank the starter : drops to 0 V

Now trying to bypass the key ignition to get the starter to work, but i don't understand the above results.

I assumed there should be zero voltage with ignition on, and then 12+ V when key is turned to crank, to send power to the solenoid, is this correct ?

Have checked all visible wiring and used jump cables all over the places to eliminate any bad earthing points, but still no crank

Thanks for any help guys, really need the car for work !

Hi bud,ignoring those readings,for now,your starter solenoid will have a large terminal where battery cable terminates,and a solenoid terminal.
If you remove this "start" connection,and run a wire from battery 12V to touch this,hands free and out of gear,what happens?

Your multimeter should not be "across" the starter terminals,the black lead should be on battery negative,and the red lead used to probe the connections discussed.

Hi fella, with a cable from battery 12V to the solenoid post, the starter turns the engine over quickly. With ignition on ( dash lights on ) the engine will not fire, it just cranks over with the starter.

Sorry, the meter probes were connected as you described - negative to the battery negative and the other to the output post on the relay ( jammed a thin wire down the side of the spade connector to get contact and clipped the probe to this wire ( so i could read the meter from the drivers seat )

Im baffled !

Hi fella, with a cable from battery 12V to the solenoid post, the starter turns the engine over quickly. With ignition on ( dash lights on ) the engine will not fire, it just cranks over with the starter.

Sorry, the meter probes were connected as you described - negative to the battery negative and the other to the output post on the relay ( jammed a thin wire down the side of the spade connector to get contact and clipped the probe to this wire ( so i could read the meter from the drivers seat )

Im baffled !

Ok , what about your key ring , is it loaded with heavy keys and worn the switch out.
Have you checked for continuity from the switch along the path of the switch wire to solenoid with switch bridged out?
Have you checked continuity across the switch in the start position?

After checking the switch wiring for continuity on and off ( it showed the switch to be working fine ) I removed the ECU and engine bay fuse box to inspect the multi plug connectors, the pins looked pretty clean but a few were different coloured with very very slight corrosion, so i gave them all a clean with a brass wire brush and some alcohol.

Connected the ECU and fuse box back up and the engine started first time, it has now been starting fine since ( 6 times so far )

Looks like it has been corroded connectors, perhaps some water / condensation inside ?

Hopefully its fixed ! I will seal the multi plugs / wiring with some silicone grease to prevent any water ingress,

It doesn't help that the ECU and the actual wiring plugs are only 7 inches from the ground behind the front bumper !!!!
So it constantly gets all the crap and spray from the road ... is it just me that thinks that is probably the worst possible place to put such an important part of electrical equipment ???

I guess the engineers at Vauxhall must be super smart, or just another "designed to fail " thing in the hope that you will spend £800 for a new one.
Even if you have a small bump the ECU is right behind the bumper itself and will be damaged.......... i cant help but think it's a joke.

Besides this electrical issue i have had constant problems with this car ( Astra H ) and spent a bloody fortune and it still has other on going issues.

I would never buy another Vauxhall / Opel car.

I hope this helps someone having the same or similar issues with electrical gremlins !

Hello guys, just found the forum while searching for electrical help with my car not starting. I have a no start no crank issue.

It's been running fine until yesterday.
Car is an Astra H 1.7 CDTI 2004.

With the ignition on, all dash lights are on but no crank.
Brand new battery fully charged, starter motor and solenoid works fine when connected direct to battery.

Using multi-meter across the starter relay switch terminals i get the following readings:

key out of ignition : 0 V
Ignition on ( with dash lights ) : 12.5 V
When key is turned to crank the starter : drops to 0 V

Now trying to bypass the key ignition to get the starter to work, but i don't understand the above results.

I assumed there should be zero voltage with ignition on, and then 12+ V when key is turned to crank, to send power to the solenoid, is this correct ?

Have checked all visible wiring and used jump cables all over the places to eliminate any bad earthing points, but still no crank

Thanks for any help guys, really need the car for work !
i got the same thing going on with my 2008, until you i have found nobody with same probem . . . let me know if u Fing anything out

Reply to No Start - No Crank issue, starter relay help needed in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net