Discuss NO switch insulation resistance failure in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

How often do we usually have insulation resistance failures on an NO switches .....
Are they IP rated for the environment... Too vague ..
Regular testing , inspection regime , old reliable /any equivalent replacements fitted ....many things to consider
( the propper answer would be by a paid report ! )

Any switch that is being run at its rated voltage and current should not experience any flash over, however switches do fail at times.
A common type of failure is for a switch to weld itself closed and therefore could cause the sort of problem you are describing if there are other parts of the circuit holding off power from the switch until a certain point in a process.
For a switch to fail such that it spontaneously conducts I would expect would be rare unless the switch managed to develop point contact surfaces through contact erosion.
However if there are metal dust particles about or frequent arcs on switching generating carbon residue or copper vapour depositing over the enclosure then it may happen.

Manual switch ?
Industrial / House hold conditions?
What is the load ? (inductive / lamp / motor - Pure resistance)
..we have barely starter ...!
( Un expected - I would be dusting for fingerprints !)

Any switch that is being run at its rated voltage and current should not experience any flash over, however switches do fail at times.
A common type of failure is for a switch to weld itself closed and therefore could cause the sort of problem you are describing if there are other parts of the circuit holding off power from the switch until a certain point in a process.
For a switch to fail such that it spontaneously conducts I would expect would be rare unless the switch managed to develop point contact surfaces through contact erosion.
However if there are metal dust particles about or frequent arcs on switching generating carbon residue or copper vapour depositing over the enclosure then it may happen.

Another reason why using low voltage ohmmeter alone during troubleshooting is never enough. By using the most basic logic this kind of fault should be resolved in the matter of few minutes.
I wonder how often this kind of fault develops on more dangerous machinery. Couldn't find anything convincing by quick Google search.

Another reason why using low voltage ohmmeter alone during troubleshooting is never enough. By using the most basic logic this kind of fault should be resolved in the matter of few minutes.
I wonder how often this kind of fault develops on more dangerous machinery. Couldn't find anything convincing by quick Google search.

...Or twenty or so posts,should do it ;)

Reply to NO switch insulation resistance failure in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net