Discuss No voltage in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

meddyliol

I am connecting a cable from the consumer unit to a double light switch. Having connected it to the consumer unit and before connecting to the switch I tested the mains voltage. There was 250 volts at the consumer end but my meter (Fluke) was only reading about 7V at the other end of the cable which is only about four feet long. Testing with an ohmeter gave zero ohms so the cable seems OK. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Brian

stop before you kill yourself. testing an open end cable connected to supply?????????

Thanks for your concern but I do not intend killing myself just yet. The wires were not just dangling, I connected them to a terminal block first. I still have an apparent voltage drop of about 143V though.

Thanks for your concern but I do not intend killing myself just yet. The wires were not just dangling, I connected them to a terminal block first. I still have an apparent voltage drop of about 143V though.

Nobody intends killing themself doing diy, Does'nt hurt to know your own limitations though.

Sounds like you've connected it up wrong or you're not testing correctly. Either way it sounds like you may be carrying out work that is outside of your skill set as fault finding on a circuit that is only four feet long would be childs play for someone with the correct knowledge to be carrying out this sort of work.

I have not connected it incorrectly and I do have an HND in Electronic Engineering so am not totally stupid. Its just that I am really confused why there is a voltage at one end but not the other. As it is not an open circuit then there should not be a voltage drop.

If your cable is intact and only four feet long and at one end l/n has a pd of 230v then unless your at paul daniels house it'll have a l/n pd of 230v at other end

Full dead testing should be carried out BEFORE any live Zs testing should be carried out, IF you are competent to carry out the works, you WOULD have found the problem before energising the circuit.

I would check the cable is fully inserted in the mcb and not behind the clamp or held by the insulation instead of the copper.
I guess if nothings coming out then nothings going in but then an HND would have told you that :)
Might check your maths on the volt drop :)

As others have said this should be done by a sparks really as if your missing a basic fault like this whatever the problem turns out to be you really should not be playing with it.

i have a degree in social studies and english language. but i cant chat to women at the bar... what have i done wrong!! am i a looser or do i need to grope them first to get there attention...

or do i need to grope them first to get there attention...

beats the chat up line " get your coat, you've pulled "

worth a go, 250 -143 =7v never killed anyone''

???????????? 1 and 1 is 3?

Reply to No voltage in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net