Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

No voltage

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum' started by meddyliol, Feb 27, 2012.

Discuss No voltage in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. meddyliol

meddyliol Guest

I am connecting a cable from the consumer unit to a double light switch. Having connected it to the consumer unit and before connecting to the switch I tested the mains voltage. There was 250 volts at the consumer end but my meter (Fluke) was only reading about 7V at the other end of the cable which is only about four feet long. Testing with an ohmeter gave zero ohms so the cable seems OK. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Brian

2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    stop before you kill yourself. testing an open end cable connected to supply?????????

• Like Like x 2
  3. meddyliol

meddyliol Guest

Thanks for your concern but I do not intend killing myself just yet. The wires were not just dangling, I connected them to a terminal block first. I still have an apparent voltage drop of about 143V though.

4. AP Electrical

AP Electrical Guest

Nobody intends killing themself doing diy, Does'nt hurt to know your own limitations though.

5. Dunc

Dunc Guest

Sounds like you've connected it up wrong or you're not testing correctly. Either way it sounds like you may be carrying out work that is outside of your skill set as fault finding on a circuit that is only four feet long would be childs play for someone with the correct knowledge to be carrying out this sort of work.

• Like Like x 2
  6. meddyliol

meddyliol Guest

I have not connected it incorrectly and I do have an HND in Electronic Engineering so am not totally stupid. Its just that I am really confused why there is a voltage at one end but not the other. As it is not an open circuit then there should not be a voltage drop.

7. pjcomp

pjcomp Regular EF Member

Which side of the MCB did you test at, and is the MCB on or off?

PJ

8. AP Electrical

AP Electrical Guest

If your cable is intact and only four feet long and at one end l/n has a pd of 230v then unless your at paul daniels house it'll have a l/n pd of 230v at other end

9. TaffyDuck

TaffyDuck Electrician's Arms

Could be a broken neutral which would give a voltage indication of about 12V or so on the live without the neutral being present. Have you checked continuity Rn?

10. Mark_Burgess

Mark_Burgess Electrician's Arms

Full dead testing should be carried out BEFORE any live Zs testing should be carried out, IF you are competent to carry out the works, you WOULD have found the problem before energising the circuit.

11. needasparks

needasparks Electrician's Arms

I would check the cable is fully inserted in the mcb and not behind the clamp or held by the insulation instead of the copper.
    I guess if nothings coming out then nothings going in but then an HND would have told you that :)
    Might check your maths on the volt drop :)

As others have said this should be done by a sparks really as if your missing a basic fault like this whatever the problem turns out to be you really should not be playing with it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Knobhead

Knobhead Guest

Funny how many we get with a HND in electronic engineering that can’t wire a light ! ! ! !

This smacks of a wind up.

13. DurhamSparky

DurhamSparky Guest

i have a degree in social studies and english language. but i cant chat to women at the bar... what have i done wrong!! am i a looser or do i need to grope them first to get there attention...

• Like Like x 1
  14. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    or do i need to grope them first to get there attention...

beats the chat up line " get your coat, you've pulled "

• Like Like x 2
  15. HandySparks

HandySparks Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Neish Electrical Services
    Between which two points (exactly) were you getting this "zero ohms"?
    I assume that you tested all three cores?

• Like Like x 1