Discuss Noob Sparks awaiting assessment in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Good evening everyone, so I have taken the plunge and signed up for the NICEIC domestic installers scheme for which I have an assessment next month.

I have a new installation to show the assessor with 7 circuits and practising the dead and live tests over and over so hopefully the on the day test nerves won't get in the way too much.

On the theory side can anyone offer any advice on things to brush up on from the 7671 or some things they get asked from the assessors? I'm taking things right back to the beginning and trying to go over everything but I don't want to spend too much time revising say campsite regs when I could revise something more appropriate?

Finally do they expect you to know formulas and values verbatim or can you look in the 7671/osg and tables? It's a bit nerve recking not knowing what to expect, any advice would be a great help from the vets and anyone thats recently had their DI assessment, thanks :)

I am an approved NIC installer but i would have thought the domestic inspection would be not as hard.They mainly want to see your public liability insurance,meter calibration,BS 7671 and the various forms that you have to download eg risk assessment etc.
On the practical side,I have never been asked any formula questions.They want to know if you can isolate safely,neatness of work,everything sleeved,grommited etc.Finally they ask you to demonstrate insulation resistance testing,rcd testing etc.

I have found my NIC inspector very approachable and keep him fed with choccy biscuits and tea and you won't go far wrong.
They should send you a checklist of all the forms,books,downloads etc you need for your assessment so make sure that you have everything.

I hate my inspection every year but for the reasons that I am losing half a days pay rather than the inspection itself :)

Good luck and relax.

Honestly, you are over worrying and thinking this. especially on your first assessment they are quite chilled.
Have all your books stacked neatly on the table with all the documents required such as insurance, calibration cert etc. have a laptop or tablet ready to be shown how to use the online niceic portal for certs and notifications.
you are unlikely to be asked for all the tests, they typically ask for a few, Where there is a ring circuit they have always asked me to do end to end tests. they usually ask to see the bonding to water/gas etc.
I find the main focus is on safe isolation. so make sure you know that and check your indicator against a known supply afterwards (main tails incoming)
As for the technical discussion again you wont get overly complex questions, usual things like rcd times, max Ze values, Zs for a set type of MCB. they are basically going down a checklist on the Ipad. if you dont know the nthat is fine, you are allowed to look it up, thats the whole point of the onsite guides.
when its over with you will wonder why you fretted so much.

I have uploaded a pdf of the assessment report they work to on the Ipad, i have blanked out any identifying information but you will see how basic the process really is, its very much tick box. as long as your paperwork is in order, you have a job to show and your isolation procedure is okay and the results on the day match the paperwork you are fine.

Attachments

• example of assessment report.pdf
    360.8 KB · Views: 53
Thats really helpful thank you both for the useful info thats good to hear, looks like I came to the right place for some guidance, will get some M&S biccys that should do it haha!

As a slight aside, I am with stroma, I transferred over to NIC without an inspection they just had sight of my stroma assessment. And that was all done over the phone. I cancelled my membership of NIC pretty soon as I don't like them and they are far too expensive. In my opinion the only reason you would want membership with NIC is because you are doing social housing. Which no sane electrician would want to do.

Hi, from what I have seen Stroma, Napit and the like all seem good but ultimately the Nic seem to have that brand recognition from the public, i can't say whether one scheme is better than another at my stage so i'm just hoping to get my foot through the door and then down the line il be in more of a position to make a decision, i'm not taking into account where to work at the minute il be looking at starting small and progress as I gain more experience and confidence

Hi, from what I have seen Stroma, Napit and the like all seem good but ultimately the Nic seem to have that brand recognition from the public, i can't say whether one scheme is better than another at my stage so i'm just hoping to get my foot through the door and then down the line il be in more of a position to make a decision, i'm not taking into account where to work at the minute il be looking at starting small and progress as I gain more experience and confidence

I've been doing domestic work for myself for over 6 years and the scheme you are in has little to no bearing on the work you get. Most members of the public are not aware of any schemes at all, and all schemes are accepted by any contractor or building control dept for notification purposes.
I looked over some EICR work and remedials done by a NICEIC approved contractor yesterday. It was jokes, lies, incompetence, deception, non compliant, and fraudulent.

The badge you wear means nothing, the reputation you make for yourself means everything.

Yes totally agree ultimately it is down to the individual and doing a good job and taking pride in your work, that can't be taught I don't think

Reply to Noob Sparks awaiting assessment in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock