Discuss Normally on bell push in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Can anyone advise where I could obtain a chrome “ normally on” switch plate. Sorry if I’m not being very clear but the switch needs to be momentarily off when the switch pressed, the opposite to a bell push.
Thanks

I have built a hidden door book case for a customer, from inside the room there is a micro switch operated by the movement of a book, however on the other side ( the back) of the book case is a hall and my client wants a light switch looking switch to match all the others in the hall ( which is the item I’m looking for).
As you ask , do you think that if I use a 1 gang 2 way switch with the live one and live 2 terminals bridged it would result in a momentarily break of current when operated. The door is built so that when the electromagnetic lock is released the door swings ajar.....or am I being stupid. Oh and it is all only 12 volt.

I have built a hidden door book case for a customer, from inside the room there is a micro switch operated by the movement of a book, however on the other side ( the back) of the book case is a hall and my client wants a light switch looking switch to match all the others in the hall.
That may fool plod, but not his four legged companion! & were you supposed to publish the master plan on the inter web?!

As you ask , do you think that if I use a 1 gang 2 way switch with the live one and live 2 terminals bridged it would result in a momentarily break of current when operated. The door is built so that when the electromagnetic lock is released the door swings ajar.....or am I being stupid. Oh and it is all only 12 volt.

Not 100% positive but I would think you would get a very quick change in state (open) when using the switch. If it's long enough to fully de-energise the locking solenoid (if that is what is being used) then that is another thing.
You really need a normally closed momentary light switch. There are lots of 'buttons' our there but as you say "my client wants a light switch looking switch to match all the others in the hall"
I'll have a search.... Sounds interesting...

....do you think that if I use a 1 gang 2 way switch with the live one and live 2 terminals bridged it would result in a momentarily break of current when operated. ....
Yes, a 2-way switch is 'break before make' configuration of contacts so there would be a very short break of current if you wire it as you suggested. Problem is that with magnetism things happen relatively slowly and you may find the break in current isn't sufficient for the magnetic flux to decay or break down to a point where the door releases. It would be trial and error.

What make are the existing switches? You might be able to get a faceplate and swap the module for a 'push to break'module and it would still look like a light switch

You are unlikely to be able to get a push to break switch that matches exactly, a lot of them have icons or incised writing on them, or if you got a grid module then it would look different. You might find it easier to find a retractive push to make switch, though even that is not so likely in chrome, and then use that to operate an NC relay.

I have built a hidden door book case for a customer, from inside the room there is a micro switch operated by the movement of a book, however on the other side ( the back) of the book case is a hall and my client wants a light switch looking switch to match all the others in the hall ( which is the item I’m looking for).

why do people come up with such barmy ideas .......................... no wonder your "normal" sparks couldn't help

Thats cool, knew a guy in Kensington and in his house you pushed the bookcase in backwards and it was the entrance to his wine cellar.

Reply to Normally on bell push in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net