Discuss Norms that apply to photovoltaic power plant in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Y

yves

Hi,
now days i'm searching for all norms which have to be taking into account during the conception of photovoltaic installation.
Considering that G59/2 applies for an installation, i'm wondering if the guide "ER G59/2 : Recommendations for the connection of Generating plant to the Distribution systems of Licensed distribution Networks Operators" covers all norms which have to be followed ( particularly IEE wiring regulations BS7671:2008, part A & P of building regulations...) ?
If someone of you have bought that guide, could you explain me what is described by this book?
Many thanks

All the required standards documents are listed in section 8 of the MCS PV Installation Standard - MIS 3002 http://www.microgenerationcertifica...ts/MIS 3002 Issue 2.0 Solar PV 2010.08.26.pdf

The most important one to add to your list is the DTI Photovoltaics in Buildings – Guide to the installation of PV systems. 2nd Edition which can be downloaded from http://www.electriciansforums.net/photovoltaic-solar-panels-green-energy-forum/23511-pv-guide.html

G59/2 applies to systems larger than 16A per phase and G83/1 to smaller systems.

Ok thanks for your answer, i've checked the MCS PV instllation standard guide out, for me it roughly the same that PV guide available on this forum.
It's the first time I'm working on UK norms and I have to admit that I'm a bit lost...
I'm still wondering if buying the IEE wiring regulation or ER G/52 guid would provide me more information? Do you think that MCS PV Installation Standard - MIS 3002 provide enough detail to allow electrical engineers to be able to design a photovoltaic installation?
In this guide, there are few references to norms (like BS6651 for lightening protection, BS60947-3 for switch disconector...), I guess further studies of these norms are necessary, right ?

It is not clear from your posts so far whether this is a one-off for you or whether you are intending to design systems in UK long term, or whether it is a small domestic project or a solar farm. Our standards are derived from the IEC documents as are other European standards, so in principle there are not great differences between how we do it and how French, Germans and others do it, Where there are differences it is down to history and where we have come from in terms of electrical practice.

If you are doing this as a one off, then I suggest design the system and get it checked out (particularly the grid interface) by a current UK based/trained electrical engineer. If you are doing this long term then you are going to need to buy or have immediate access to most of the documents mentioned so far.

Although the Engineering Recommendations cost money, there are some useful guides available free here:
Engineering documents - Energy Networks Association

Regards
Bruce

Last edited:
Thanks Bruce.
The meaning of my research is to be able to have an overview of all parameters that have to be taken into account for installing PV systems in UK long term. Then it is important to know what are the UK specificities. I've started to check availibility and price of norms that are listed in the PV guide, not easy to fint out where to purchase all these norms ( ex: i can't find BS3535 Specification for safety isolating transformers for industrial anddomestic purposes).
Moreover, purchasing all those norms is expensive and i'm not sure that they are all useful since they are made not only for PV but for all domestic or industrial. According to your experience, which norms should i buy and which one are not really useful (indications in differents free guides provide enough informations about these last one)? do you see what i mean ?

An installer would need:

IEE 17th Edition On-Site Guide or equivalent
DTI Guide to PV
Relevant MCS scheme documents

A good installer would also refer to:
BS7671:2008 17th Edition Wiring Regulations
Approved Document P of the Building Regulations 2006
plus many of the other Approved Documents occasionally
G83/1
G59/2
BRE Digest 489
BRE Digest 495
Various health and safety documents for working practices

Only if you were going right down into the detail would you need to refer to other British Standards. For those that do, the cheapset way is often to use a subscription service. I still have not worked out whether you are doing this as a potential installer, a system designer, or a component designer. If you have an employer then they might have access to a subscription service. If you are an academic then I know almost all university students have access to British Standards online, although they probably do not realise it.

Regards
Bruce

Last edited:

Reply to Norms that apply to photovoltaic power plant in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock