Discuss Not happy with the plumbers! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
This is an ongoing job for a customer who lives abroad, he wants the house up to standard for renting in the future. so every now and then I pop around when I have some spare time to work on it, so do other trades.

I had nearly finished rewiring it, but the customer wanted to convert the garage into a dining room, so about a week ago I spoke with the plumbers about where not to put pipes e.t.c, because downlights have to go in the ceiling.

Anyway I got there today and yes they did as I asked, but as I turned around I saw this. I'm not happy about it at all. :mad:

Also the consumer unit is to the right of this meter & when those joints leak???

What are your opinions everyone.

View attachment 35666

Ask them to move the joints, trim the pipes off the other side of that wall, one joint there and then another maybe 3 feet this side???

Just plain dumb to put the joints there though in my opinion.

It may have more potential for a mishap to cause greater problem than if they were not there,other than that whats the difference having a Consumer unit or Kitchen lights or outlets etc below a Shower or Bathroom as can be seen in many properties

It's not your problem.
The ceiling will be boarded and will have to have probably 200mm of insulation in and under the joists.
If there is a leak and there will be as the joints are strained, water will find it's way to the joints in the plaster board and leak there first.

I suspect the drilled holes don't comply to Building regs, (0.25 to 0.4 and 3 x's hole size separation.)

Re the pipe runs - doesn't LBC or their nominee do inspections of plumbers work? (a genuine, if dumb question...)

LBC will be involved with the builder I think as this is a change of use.

I'm also concerned about the downlights, as celetoex is going in I don't really want to cut into it, even though the ceiling is vented. I tried to get the builder to create a void for the downlights, that didn't go down well.

I think I will clarify with LABC just to be sure there ok with it.

if it's having a ceiling 50mm lower, why on earth did the wet-pants not just fix to the underside of the joists.

That's exactly what I said to them, the customer was there at the time & they both said that the ceiling would start getting to low. It's a flat sloping roof anyway so it will need to be levelled off underneath at some point.

Reply to Not happy with the plumbers! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net