Discuss Not looking forward to Thursdays Job. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SirKit Breaker

Been called out to a house built in about 1980. 6 way rewireable CU. He told me over the phone that none of the sockets work, he rewired fuse and it went bang again, and again and all is OK, the problem is intermittent. He is a regular customer, and i look after 3 of his rentals. This problem is in his own house, he has lived there for 6 years and has had no problems, and just an additional fan in the ensuite which is OK dont know who or when it was wired but it is wired properly.

I went as a "mate" to get him some power on. Off with the CU lid, and found that there are 5 used and 1 unused ways.

2 are lighting 6a 60898 plugins
1 is garage socket 15a 1361
1 is house sockets 30a 3036
1 is unidentified 15a 3036

It is the bottom one that is blowing. So i fitted a 16a 60898 plugin.

Whilst i was on site, it remained on , no problems.
What i have found is that this 15a circuit is or appears to be a radial.
The house sockets are a ring circuit but there is no sockets connected to it unless something is hidden. But all the sockets (that we can find)in the house are on the 1 15a plugin breaker.

Apart from r1, rn and r2 on the circuit that does nothing i have not done any testing whatsoever yet due to time.

On Thursday i have the task of unravelling the mysteries and fitting a new CU. Should be fun or not as the case maybe!

Cheers........Howard

Last edited by a moderator:
i love jobs like that. gets the old brain cells going. however it's easier with 2 men. saves running all over the place.

I would say immersion too . May not blow untill hot , maybe exspanding ? I take it there is no rcd anywhere , i bet you will not get it to hold when you change the board . Good luck any way !

nice. dont you just love labels that make no sense. Probably from original install, then there were problems so rewired and labels not changed. In my house when it was rewired (in the 80's) the VIR to the immersion was not changed for some reason and when the combi was installed later the VIR (and it was crumbling nicely)was not disconnected from the CU so a hazard waiting to happen. luckily all fixed now.
as said before have fun.

Reply to Not looking forward to Thursdays Job. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net