Discuss Not so smart ttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Des 56

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Under the Government's £11bn smart meter programme every household in the UK will have been offered a device by 2020.

My own decision to never have one :cry: it is making me optimistic it is the right decision :)

Millions of smart meters installed in British households under the Government's flagship scheme may need to be replaced due to an IT bungle.

For the first time major energy suppliers have admitted that some of the 8 million "first generation" smart meters fitted in households are incompatible with a new nation al communications network, which links their systems to the devices.

A row has broken out after the government last night denied that the meters would need to be replaced.
The article rambles on

There doesn't seem many things that we try to create ever work for the better.
NHS computerised systems
Train and transport infrastructures
Lack of forward action from Brexit vote.
It makes you despair whilst we go out every day and endeavour to do our best for the people we work for.
Ah well. Cup of tea and a digestive will put everything right!

take more than a tea and biscwit to sort out. i recommend a bottle of Jack Daniels and and a whole fruit cake.

oops, just seen parliament have already got the fruitcake..... diane abbott.

My daughter has recently had Smart meters installed. When she checked her bills last week, she discovered that she has been paying roughly £56 a month more than she should since having the meters installed.
So much for more accurate billing.

I was offered it over the phone by British gas the other week but said no due to decoration. In my infinite wisdom before I had the idea to train, I plasterboarded over the service head leaving the cutout through the plasterboard and the meter nicely plasterboarded around - no I will not post a picture as I'm far too embarrassed. Quite cool that I have the cut out fuse on display though and it still has a seal! Until I get round to changing that 3036 that is!

My daughter has recently had Smart meters installed. When she checked her bills last week, she discovered that she has been paying roughly £56 a month more than she should since having the meters installed.
So much for more accurate billing.

So you would recommend having a smart meter fitted?

I recall another thread on this forum saying not to have one fitted as it would cost you money. Although I think it had something to do with the solar power not generating as power power as estimated...

No I definitely wouldn't recommend having one fitted. Basically she's being overcharged £56 a month.
On top of that your standing charges go up, or at least hers have.

Personally I think it's the biggest con going.
According to the government, we will all eventually have to use smart meters, whether we want them or not. Why should we be penalised for having them ?.

Part of the agreement the suppliers of these SMETS 1 have to observe is that they have to have the homeowners permission to install these smart meters. As they are already obsolete in their function, IMO, I would wait until SMETS 2 or possibly SMETS 3 is up and running.
BTW, there was talk that GCHQ will be writing the security software but then that might be what one might call Diane Abbot speak.........

Personally I think it's the biggest con going.
According to the government, we will all eventually have to use smart meters, whether we want them or not. Why should we be penalised for having them ?.

Apparently that is not the case,I believe a notice of non consent can be issued

Quote from Ofgem
"Smart meters aren’t compulsory and you can choose not to have one".

Smart meters: Your rights - https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/understand-smart-and-other-energy-meters/smart-meters-your-rights

Had smart meter fitted in January. My usage has dropped as the local display just makes you aware of what your using. I have no idea why someone's standing charge would change from having a metre. That is based on your tarrif plan, so unless the smart metre was installed as part of a supplier switch. Also can,t under stand the overcharging aspect. I would contact supplier and double check

The smart meter was installed at the request of the local energy supplier, stupidly she agreed.
According to the salesman, the tariff plan was changed to a lower tariff when the meter was installed.
The supplier has been contacted / informed and are apparently looking into it, however they say up to 28 days to resolve.

Glad she is challenging it, sounds like an unscrupulous sales person rather than an issue with smart metering and that she inadvertently agreed to a change in tarrif. I always enjoy calls from companies saying they are going to save me money on gas or electric as when you question them on what are the standing charge rates and unit prices 99% can't give you an answer...lol
Hopes she gets resolution soon.

Reply to Not so smart ttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net