Discuss Not that new but still.... in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi there,

Been working as a domestic electrician for just over a year now after doing one of those intensive courses (Yes I have confessed!). Been working with a very experienced guy though and gone through a steep learning curve, god if I think back to how I was. Anyways I'm now thinking of going it aloneish ( with him on the end of phone if needed), been doing a few privates that have all gone well so think it' time for the jump. Need to certify my own work tho so going for the nic-eic domestc installer one. Looked at napit but nic-eic seems to be the standard...any feedback on that decision would be welcome! My view is I can pick up the easier jobs and pass anything big over to him but I need more money and I'm pretty confident with most stuff.. time to make the jump?

Hi bud,and welcome.

You may find a degree of differing opinions,regarding who "the standard" is...;)

Belonging to one,or another,in my experience,has absolutely no correlation,to knowledge,competence or any standard. These are attributes,an individual brings to the table...the other is just a fee :)

It may well affect the decision of some customer or other,in asking you to tender...but i stand by my statement.

Tell us that you have up-graded the bonding in Fat-boy slims gaff :D

Take care not to upset the hands that trained you !
( Territory is a tricky one )

Yea totally get that, I'm not trying to nick work or anything, just think it's about time to go alone. I think hell be on board actually, get someone else in cheap..its a bit of a cycle I would imagine if you're in his position. Everyone wins out of it

Hi bud,and welcome.

You may find a degree of differing opinions,regarding who "the standard" is...;)

Belonging to one,or another,in my experience,has absolutely no correlation,to knowledge,competence or any standard. These are attributes,an individual brings to the table...the other is just a fee :)

It may well affect the decision of some customer or other,in asking you to tender...but i stand by my statement.

Tell us that you have up-graded the bonding in Fat-boy slims gaff :D

Yea that' the impression I got, so you don' think it matters which mafia you join? All about the same price tho

Take care not to upset the hands that trained you !
( Territory is a tricky one )

Yea totally get that, I'm not trying to nick work or anything, just think it's about time to go alone. I think hell be on board actually, get someone else in cheap..its a bit of a cycle I would imagine if you're in his position. Everyone wins out of it

Yea that' the impression I got, so you don' think it matters which mafia you join? All about the same price tho

It only matters to some customers,but that has been undergoing a gradual levelling,over the years.

A similar analogy,could be drawn from British Gas,where years ago,their prominence and accepted standards,were perceived to provide a benchmark. To where we are today,with them only leading the field,in high pressure,sales driven programmes,hideous and questionable quotes and scaremongering.

Which does not deter,members of the public,from believing their worth,"...because they are BG..."

You should probably assess the core of your target customers,and investigate how much the name of your scheme,will matter.

Personally,i would have someone employed,with a scheme sticker reading "Muppet-Elec"...as long as they did not determine safe isolation,using a "socket-n-see"....

...and yes,that dude had the "Gold Standard" scheme stickers...:rolleyes:

It only matters to some customers,but that has been undergoing a gradual levelling,over the years.

A similar analogy,could be drawn from British Gas,where years ago,their prominence and accepted standards,were perceived to provide a benchmark. To where we are today,with them only leading the field,in high pressure,sales driven programmes,hideous and questionable quotes and scaremongering.

Which does not deter,members of the public,from believing their worth,"...because they are BG..."

You should probably assess the core of your target customers,and investigate how much the name of your scheme,will matter.

Personally,i would have someone employed,with a scheme sticker reading "Muppet-Elec"...as long as they did not determine safe isolation,using a "socket-n-see"....

...and yes,that dude had the "Gold

We are electricians..... 99% of us have filthy minds.... It's just that some are more vocal about it than others....
Don't like talking about my Privates, it's a sore subject, well it was last week

Don't like talking about my Privates, it's a sore subject, well it was last week

Too much info mate.... Get some cream and walk around like John Wayne for a bit and you will be back to normal.... If you've ever been classed as normal that is...

Too much info mate.... Get some cream and walk around like John Wayne for a bit and you will be back to normal.... If you've ever been classed as normal that is...
Thanks for the advice Mate much appreciated

Reply to Not that new but still.... in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net