Discuss Notches or Holes, clip or not to clip? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

FatAlan

-
Trainee
Esteemed
Reaction score
Appart from the building regs specification on the size and positioning of notches and holes in joists is there a best practice on what to use? Is it just the case that notches are used in place of holes due to the cable positioning being outside that prescribed for holes. Are there any issues with not clipping cables under floor boards? I say this as when for instance you install down lights it seems prudent to have a fair bit of slack left for future work / fittings etc.

more effort to notch then it is drill a hole
if the hole is drilled in correct place- less likely to have a screw/nail go through it than if it was in a notch (unless you ues a metal plate)

always try get a few clips in under the floorboards to keep it off the plasterboard and alway from any screws etc- but impossible to clip in on its full run if its a rewire to an exisitng house and you only needed to take up a few boards- otherwise you will end up taking up all the poxy floorboards in the house!

Appart from the building regs specification on the size and positioning of notches and holes in joists is there a best practice on what to use? Is it just the case that notches are used in place of holes due to the cable positioning being outside that prescribed for holes. Are there any issues with not clipping cables under floor boards? I say this as when for instance you install down lights it seems prudent to have a fair bit of slack left for future work / fittings etc.
My own personal view would be, if you come across an instance where by the joist have been notched by another, and drilling holes would/could possibly weaken the joists further, I have done in the past used these notches, I know it's not as the Regs say it should be done, but are the Regs not written for an ideal situation? I believe they are, (tin hat on, as well as flak jacket, and Chobam armouring)
Don't want to sound condescending but if you are fishing cables in a rewire say, you are hardly going to take floor boards up just to bang a few cable clips in are you? new build would be different but as you say it's normal to leave some slack for alterations. maintenance etc. If notches are used the I always clip the cables in the notch and cover the notches with a metal strip, just as extra protection.

more effort to notch then it is drill a hole
if the hole is drilled in correct place- less likely to have a screw/nail go through it than if it was in a notch (unless you ues a metal plate)

always try get a few clips in under the floorboards to keep it off the plasterboard and alway from any screws etc- but impossible to clip in on its full run if its a rewire to an exisitng house and you only needed to take up a few boards- otherwise you will end up taking up all the poxy floorboards in the house!
A notch is quicker, skill saw chisel bobs your uncle.

On new builds, I am surprised that there is no requirement to clearly mark the floor boards to show cable and pipe runs...

In the past,I've seen it done for short sections of such runs through door ways ect, but I think that was down to the owner rather than the contractors/builders..

On new builds, I am surprised that there is no requirement to clearly mark the floor boards to show cable and pipe runs...

In the past,I've seen it done for short sections of such runs through door ways ect, but I think that was down to the owner rather than the contractors/builders..
The way new builds are thrown up these days, I seriously doubt that there is time to mark where pipes and cables are, that is unless it's specified and paid for, stuff is thrown in, get paid and Foxtrot Oscar on to the next job, "not my fault if some Muppet nails or screw through a Pipe or cable, is it Boss?" Not much pride taken in the majority of new builds these days, and that includes some, not all, so called Electricians I'm afraid, how many new builds are wired using Mates and Apprentices, without any supervision.

On new builds the joists are flimsy, most older houses notch in the middle nails to either edge of the board.

When I was in Germany in the 90's I came across a few of the more modern houses that had concrete for the upstairs floors and stairs and was told it was to do with their fire regs..

I'm not sure how wide spread that is over there, but their design and construction industry seems much more advanced than ours...As Pete999 says most of our new builds are built to the absolute lowest standards that the developer can get away with...

When I was in Germany in the 90's I came across a few of the more modern houses that had concrete for the upstairs floors and stairs and was told it was to do with their fire regs..

I'm not sure how wide spread that is over there, but their design and construction industry seems much more advanced than ours...As Pete999 says most of our new builds are built to the absolute lowest standards that the developer can get away with...
Lots of new building technology and tools are imported in from Germany, look at Festool, Hafelle the way buildings are insulated etc the UK sold its industries off in the past when we where world leaders what we now have ended up is Barratt Houses which are the cheapest of the cheap crapiest stuff around to fill a void and to make money.

telling me you can notch one joist quicker than you can drill 1 hole!?
you not got power tools!
Yep, find a drill and a bit to fit in between the joist so you can drill a level hole or just run a skill saw across the top twice. i know whats quicker especially through 100 year old wood.

I know what is standard,and what's been done,is done,but nothing degrades a joists integrity,like a notch.
You can rectify 20 rogue holes,with some glue and a piece of hardwood dowel.

If you are lifting boards,i would recommend drilling,every time.

You can fish,and drill from different directions,to save lifting every board,which you will have to do,to notch.

I have a black and white information film,from the 50's,where they are "electrifying lighting" of some of the old terraced properties,in Trafford Park,after the war.

The sparks all have roofer's hatchets,to open ceilings,and notch the bejesus out of all the virgin 8 be 4's downstairs :rolleyes:

He must be on that polish 95% gear he posted a link to if he thinks notching is quicker than drilling :confused:...:D Did I read a post that you have the Milwaukee hole hawg?
best purchase of 2017 Lee hands down! flys through old and new joists no pressure- i heard good things about the Milwaukee self drive bits- but they get filled up of wood chippings after 2 or 3 joist and you have to clear it out- but with a flat blue bosch bit...laughing!

Reply to Notches or Holes, clip or not to clip? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock