Discuss Notifiable work? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Gavsparky

Hi all, for example if I have a job doing some minor works or even a new circuit installation and the client was not wanting a certificate for the said works due to keeping costs down would this be acceptable within laws and who would be responsible. Cheers

Certification should be supplied for all work carried out and should be included in the costs. IMO certification is not an extra that can be omitted to save a few quid.

Even if a customer was adamant on saving where possible, and therefore that responsibility would be held with them?

How the heck would the responsibility be with the customer ? It's you thats carrying out the work, its you that needs to certify it in accordance with BS7671.

Hi all, for example if I have a job doing some minor works or even a new circuit installation and the client was not wanting a certificate for the said works due to keeping costs down would this be acceptable within laws and who would be responsible. Cheers
Why do you ask, are you not qualified?
Odd question if you are.

How the heck would the responsibility be with the customer ? It's you thats carrying out the work, its you that needs to certify it in accordance with BS7671.

As I've said if it wasn't to be certified due to an adamant customer not wanting legal binding documentation, it would therefore be their responsibility surely?

Even if a customer was adamant on saving where possible, and therefore that responsibility would be held with them?

No the responsibility would be on you as you would be in breach of section 6 bs 7671

As I've said if it wasn't to be certified due to an adamant customer not wanting legal binding documentation, it would therefore be their responsibility surely?

Then walk away. Sounds a bit fishy to me.

Your responsibility as a competent spark is to design, install, test, certify and where relevent notify - just because some dummy doesn't want this done why wouldn't you?

Or do you ride your horse to your clients?

How do you work out that not certifying the work transfers the responsibility to the customer. If you ended up in a court of law and this was your defence you won't have a leg to stand on.

Then walk away. Sounds a bit fishy to me.

Your responsibility as a competent spark is to design, install, test, certify and where relevent notify - just because some dummy doesn't want this done why wouldn't you?

Or do you ride your horse to your clients?

Less of the lip big man, just merely a thought

Get of your hypothetical high horse!

Even if you could get a customer to sign a waiver that stated they were responsible for your untested work(which aint gonna happen), you would still be working against the regs by not testing your installation and issuing certification.

Tell this customer to do one, then get the regs out and do some homework.

However you bend this you're not going to get out of the responsibility you have of notifying your work and I'm pretty sure you won't find anyone on here or anywhere else for that matter who'll tell you otherwise.

I'm closing this one before it gets ugly.

Reply to Notifiable work? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net