Discuss Notifiable works. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jones68

I am building a small timber frame extension for a client and am planning to wire it myself , I have a part P domestic installers qualification with the 17th C&G. I want to check whether this is notifiable work. As the plan is to extend the existing ring final circuit and lighting circuit only and not add a new circuit my understanding is that it`s not notifiable and can be covered by a minor works certificate ? Any advice much appreciated.

Depends whats going into the extension! If your going to have a bath or shower (special location) then its notifiable. If no shower/bath, no taking a new circuit from the CU then its not notifiable.

Also I have recently been told that Wales are still working to the Part P 2010 rather than 2013, so doing any wiring in a kitchen may still be notifiable, unsure!

I am building a small timber frame extension for a client and am planning to wire it myself , I have a part P domestic installers qualification with the 17th C&G. I want to check whether this is notifiable work. As the plan is to extend the existing ring final circuit and lighting circuit only and not add a new circuit my understanding is that it`s not notifiable and can be covered by a minor works certificate ? Any advice much appreciated.

What is the point in doing a building regs course of you aren't going to understand it?

Jones68, please don't take this the wrong wy or that I'm being rude, but if you are in a position, a figure of electrical competency, you really should know what's notifiable and whats not. Presumably you hold the current copy of the approved document? You should as your NICEIC assessor will check.

Builder's, Plumber's, kitchen Fitters, tilers all running round with meaningless numpty electrical qualifications!!! It really has all got to be STOPPED, and stopped NOW!!

I had a bloke help me out recently on a private job and he was recommended to me by a friend....... anyway i picked him up in the morning and he was one of these know it all idiots who loves his own voice !!!
The whole way to work he was telling me his 5 week course is the way to go and electrics is easy bla bla bla, i knew within 2 minutes i had a prat in the van and was going to be a long day.
Well just about every floorboard he lifted he broke, the wall chases looked as if he had done it with a demolition ball and his attitude was poor to say the least.
I pulled him up and said listen mate this aint on i dont work this way and he had the cheek to say im to fussy and blamed it on crap floorboards and rubbish walls lol.
I asked him to clear up his mess at the end of the day and his reply to me was thats an apprentices job !!!! By now i had enough and told him i have had apprentices do 10 times better than the crap he did for me today and he needs to go do an apprenticeship as his 5 week course was pointless.
I dropped him home and he said see you morning Darren to which i replied NO YOU WONT PAL !!!

Builder's, Plumber's, kitchen Fitters, tilers all running round with meaningless numpty electrical qualifications!!! It really has all got to be STOPPED, and stopped NOW!!

We all know it won't stop though. Some people are getting lots of money and that is all that counts... Sad times...

We all know it won't stop though. Some people are getting lots of money and that is all that counts... Sad times...

You're right, not while people sit back and do Nothing!! Get rid of the organisations that legitimise these wannabe jokers would be a big step in the right direction....

well. i,made it clear that i win,t join a scam. just needs another 30,000 or so to do the same and the scams will perish.

The current situation should never have been allowed it should have been killed off at birth as a totally unfit for purpose system. The sparks back in the 70's and 80's thought the Skillcentres were bad turning out sparks in 6 months but they were no where near as bad as what is being turned out now

well. i,made it clear that i win,t join a scam. just needs another 30,000 or so to do the same and the scams will perish.

I can't see how these scams are needed in the industry they take money from any one and supposedly verify their competence to trade as an electrical installer ( won't use the term Electrician in this instance) and when these installers are found doing work way below the required standard these scams seem to hide under a stone and do nothing about it. I'm with Tel the sooner these scams cease to exist the better as they are vehicles for promoting poor training and giving under skilled poorly qualified operatives the credibility to trade

But how will it all STOP is the big question?!! When electricians are forced into these schemes, some rely on it for the big contracts if you know what I mean say no more.

you only have to read uksparks's thread to see how bad it is. i've seen better work done by plumbers.

It will get noticed if we all boycott the schemes that have done the damage.
It needs every single person here to write their scheme at renewal time and explain exactly why they are not renewing their membership. In 12 months time the schemes should be pretty much strapped for cash!

Unfortunately it is too late, the scams and the Electrical Trainee are now well established. All that would happen is all the Electrical Trainee would become members of the scams and use this when talking to customers.

What maybe should happen is all the Electrical Trainee become members of scams to use as ongoing competence while all time served sparks don't have to register with them as there competence is already proven over many years.

Save yourself £500. No one gives a ....
You keep on paying perpetuates the situation.

I can have two fun weeks in South Eurozone for that money.

Listen to Uncle Trev!

and have the niceic etc supplyall Electrical Trainee with van stickers stating "domestic trainee"

Crikey guys!! Bet this chaps wishing he never asked the question!

It looks like he did actually know that it wasn't notifiable as he mentioned not starting a new circuit, and he was just looking for a bit of reassurance as he wanted to do the right thing. He also mentioned the MWC which would be ok for extending a circuit, although he would actually need 2 MWC's as extending both lights and sockets.

I think you may have scared him off :leaving:

It's nice to see that someone has been listening and now actually believes in what I've been saying for months.
Now, if you head on over to the campaign FB page and share your stories about how you have come to this point of view maybe more will get behind it and we could get some people power going on.

Reply to Notifiable works. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock