Discuss Novice wants to add led interior lights in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello I require a little advice. I'm looking to add some rgb led light strips to the interior of my car. I want them to power on when I open my door. That bit I know how to do. But I also want it to be powered by a switch that I can turn off

Welcome to the forum.
From what you are saying.... correct me if I'm wrong, you want a led strip to be activated with either the door switch or a new switch you will fit???
If that is the case the can you not just add the new switch in parallel with the door switch.
Also making sure the led strip doesn't draw so much power it blows the relative fuse.

Welcome to the forum.
From what you are saying.... correct me if I'm wrong, you want a led strip to be activated with either the door switch or a new switch you will fit???
If that is the case the can you not just add the new switch in parallel with the door switch.
Also making sure the led strip doesn't draw so much power it blows the relative fuse.

You might need to use a couple of diodes to prevent the interior lights also being switched by your new manual override switch, unless of course you want all the interior lights on at the same time.

Excellent. So basically I can hook the 2 different power inputs into the rgb controller then on the interior light wires just have a diode to stop the power also going to the interior dome light yea? I only kind of know what I'm doing ;D flying blind so all advice is actually very helpful

Red for drivers door, blue for passenger and green for the boot?

Do you want the lights wired same as the courtesy light? Ie switched on/ door switch/ off?

I'm thinking something like this....

Novice wants to add led interior lights upload_2018-10-24_16-58-25 - EletriciansForums.net

The exact design would need to factor in how the interior lights are connected to the door switches and whether they simply switch to chasis, which in a lot of cases is the negative terminal of the battery (but not always).

Reply to Novice wants to add led interior lights in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock