Discuss Now which cable for this farm job? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just a bit more from this job I've been going on about at the stables..

The chap has 10-15 meters of flex plugged in (just below Consumer unit) taking power to each individual flood. What sort of length of flex is acceptable? I'm going to be changing it all so they are on seperate MCB's in CU, so T&E to seperate switchs just below consumer unit and then can i just use the flex he already has in place, would save him a lot in time and cable? I'd rather be using T&E on a longer run and then into a junction box just before the flood to change to flex to terminate into flood?

Now which cable for this farm job? 20130612_201918 - EletriciansForums.netNow which cable for this farm job? 20130612_201206 - EletriciansForums.net

think i see your plan. 6A or 10A MCB in CU feeding individual switches. i'd use a grid switch assembly as the switches are D/P so an earth fault on a flood can be isolated.

Flex isn't ideal but I don't think it's against the regs(tin hat on) depending on the installation method ie is it in conduit where buried, also is it exposed to sun anywhere etc

As for acceptable length it would also depend on installation method and size of load (ocpd) etc, just refer to the tables in the regs. I'm gonna predict you have RCD tripping issues if these floods weren't already RCD protected before the new CU was installed.

think i see your plan. 6A or 10A MCB in CU feeding individual switches. i'd use a grid switch assembly as the switches are D/P so an earth fault on a flood can be isolated.

Thanks Tel, so what cable would be ok, the 15m's of flex on each of them? Or change to T&E?

hmm.... i'd be inclined to configure the CU with a couple of non-RCD ways and feed the floods from a non-RCD way. ( provided 522.6 is not contravened, and the flexes are well out of reach of the nags.

Thanks Tel, so what cable would be ok, the 15m's of flex on each of them? Or change to T&E?[/QUOT

if outside, don't use T/E. black flex is better resistant to UV, or even hi-tuf. depends on the client's budget.

Flex isn't ideal but I don't think it's against the regs(tin hat on) depending on the installation method ie is it in conduit where buried, also is it exposed to sun anywhere etc

As for acceptable length it would also depend on installation method and size of load (ocpd) etc, just refer to the tables in the regs. I'm gonna predict you have RCD tripping issues if these floods weren't already RCD protected before the new CU was installed.

Thanks Marvo,
The lights are already running through the RCD that they will be using when I seperate them on to seperate MCB's, not sure why I would get a problem, no 2 way switching and no borrowed neutrals?

Thanks Tel, so what cable would be ok, the 15m's of flex on each of them? Or change to T&E?[/QUOT

if outside, don't use T/E. black flex is better resistant to UV, or even hi-tuf. depends on the client's budget.

I'd always use black flex outside, this is all inside, cheers Tel.

100% no lie , as a surprise for fathers day , whilst parents are on holiday , i have completely rewired the garage and exterior lighting to the highest spec possible

full fp200 wiring
MK metalclad accessories
rcbo local protection
commercial florescent lighting

all stolen from the job im on lol.....
sweet.
;-)

stick with the flex that's there, then. as i said, if it's surface and inaccessible to animals, then no need for RCD.

Thanks Marvo,
The lights are already running through the RCD that they will be using when I seperate them on to seperate MCB's, not sure why I would get a problem, no 2 way switching and no borrowed neutrals?
If it was installed by the owner my worry would be when it rains the floodlights leak, junction boxes leak, tape joints leak, damaged cables leak and it could become an earth leakage nightmare. If it's already on RCD then at least there shouldn't be any nasty surprises.

100% no lie , as a surprise for fathers day , whilst parents are on holiday , i have completely rewired the garage and exterior lighting to the highest spec possible

full fp200 wiring
MK metalclad accessories
rcbo local protection

sweet.
;-)
I thought I was doing well buying a new barbecue for my old fella.
not stolen either!

full fp200 wiring
MK metalclad accessories
rcbo local protection

sweet.
;-)

Can’t see a problem with that.

Cheapskate!

Did you use you’re crayons for dads card?

What about voltage drop, lighting maximum is now 3% of Uo from supply, I only ever used flexible cables installed in plastic conduit, problem with clipping direct is that it can be damaged and expose either the line or neutral but not the CPC, which could be dangers, you must insure it can not be eaten by live stock or rodents, that why it installed in plastic conduit. Metal conduit (galvanised) is both poisonous and dangerous in event of earth fault (high) Ut touch current for animals. Like other I switch etc light through double pole gird switch, to enable isolation and mechanical maintenance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only ever used flexible cables installed in plastic conduit, problem with clipping direct is that it can be damaged and expose either the line or neutral but not the CPC, which could be dangers, you must insure it can not be eaten by live stock or rodents, that why it installed in plastic conduit. Metal conduit (galvanised) is both poisonous and dangerous in event of earth fault (high) Ut touch current for animals. .

my Nag would easily destroy a bit of plastic conduit :crazy:

my Nag would easily destroy a bit of plastic conduit :crazy:

Yes probably would, but galvanised is very poisonous to your nag too, I like you would try to remove the possibility of your nag or other animals chewing on the plastic conduit, if she likely to destroy, what would she do to a flexible cable not protected within a plastic conduit.

Why not run cheap, nag life threatening conduit at a high level, out of reach of their chomping mouths, and use stainless steel (or the like) down to the sockets etc...

Why not run cheap, nag life threatening conduit at a high level, out of reach of their chomping mouths, and use stainless steel (or the like) down to the sockets etc...

Black enamel rust in environment like damp wet barns, and as for stainless steel (a) It is mega expensive and (b) a nightmare to thread and bend, it better to hide your plastic conduit runs or use FP200 again install out of reach or as you stated run all power etc high level out of reach of cattle, pigs, horses etc.
Out of reach is the best option.
A Third problem with metal is that under fault condition the Touch Voltage UT and be fatal to live stock.

Reply to Now which cable for this farm job? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock