Discuss Nursing Homes/Part P in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have recently started my own business with my Dad. Between us, we have 40 years experience in Domestic, Commercial and Industrial installation as well as 2391 & 2394/5 (I have the later quals). We have registered with NAPIT but were awaiting a large enough job for our first assessment. As luck would have it, a nursing home contacted us with a request for an EICR. Having completed this, we found that the building is in quite urgent need of a fair bit of work.

I have scoured the internet for this but not found a decent answer one way or the other, so my question is this: If we use this job for our NAPIT assessment, is that okay, or do we have to notify LABC? I'm not entirely sure if it classes as a domestic or commercial property.

Cheers in advance,

Dan

First of all it classed as commercial, as its a business, I would also be very careful on being paid....from experience, alot of these large/small companies, shall I say are run from foreign shores, and payment can reach many months

I have scoured the internet for this but not found a decent answer one way or the other, so my question is this: If we use this job for our NAPIT assessment, is that okay, or do we have to notify LABC? I'm not entirely sure if it classes as a domestic or commercial property.

Hi Dan,

Firstly good luck with your new business.

I would say that a nursing home is commercial so I'm not sure if it would be ok to use for your NAPIT inspection. Best thing would be to phone them and ask.

As it's commercial, you don't need to notify LABC. For domestic, you can notify after your assessment, but it should ideally be within 28 days from completion of the job.

Thank you for all the advice and well-wishes! ImpededLoop, could you give me a link to where you found the '28 days' piece of information? That is very useful, as I have been pondering whether to take on a couple of smaller jobs - they are not large enough for NAPIT assessment but I could really use the work!

Thank you for all the advice and well-wishes! ImpededLoop, could you give me a link to where you found the '28 days' piece of information? That is very useful, as I have been pondering whether to take on a couple of smaller jobs - they are not large enough for NAPIT assessment but I could really use the work!

What do you mean by not large enough for your NAPIT assessment ? As far as I'm aware you could spur of a ring for a new socket and you could use this as a job for an assessment.

What do you mean by not large enough for your NAPIT assessment ? As far as I'm aware you could spur of a ring for a new socket and you could use this as a job for an assessment.

They signed me up once full scope took the money and I never had a visit for ages then showed them a fused spur in my shed lol
When I showed the assessor my JIB ticket, asked if he had one and he said no the JIB would only offer him a labour's ticket and that's the truth on my kids life.
I won't name him because that's wrong but he was moving up the ladder at the time.

Thank you for all the advice and well-wishes! ImpededLoop, could you give me a link to where you found the '28 days' piece of information?

I'm with Elecsa and according to them it is actually 20 days: http://www.elecsa.co.uk/Documents/Public-Documents/Contractors/Guide-to-Part-P_2013.aspx Look at page 6.

The truth is that you can decide when the job is complete - so the notification date follows...... It's what everybody does prior to their first assessment, so don't worry!

NAPIT have informed me that I need two new circuits for an inspection. 7029 dave, what do you mean by Approved? My Dad holds an Approved JIB card, and I will be eligible for one in around 6 months, when I will have held the 2395 for two years. Or are you referring to NAPIT 'Full scope', which we will also be getting?

Reply to Nursing Homes/Part P in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net