Discuss NVQ WHAT TO EXPECT??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Currently undergoing level 3 installation diploma and want to start building portfolio for my NVQ. Just wanted abit of advice on what pictures i need to get and also do i need to be seen clearly in every picture?? Also anything else you think might help me and what to expect etc.
Thanks in advance

Have you not taken any photos so far? shame if you haven't try to get photos at each stage keep a copy of instruction that comes with products. Your college/training establishment should tell you exactly what is required.

I had some on my old phone and was told that i cannot use old photos but not sure how they would know without dates on photos. I have a year or so now so im going to get snap happy and take photos of everything. Thanks do you mean manufacters instructions that come with lights etc? Also should i take photos or permits, risk assessments.. One other thing if say im doing conduit should i take pictures in stages of measuring, cutting, bending, threading and mounting or will 1 picture do?? Cheers

I would say yes it all can go to show what you have learnt to do on site and competent in installing. You can't turn the clock back.

Doing also, depends on college, the one im doing doesnt require me to be in photos, they are also happy with only one part of the fix assuming you perhaps only did first fix

There is criteria about what cables you need evidence of, also criteria on what containment you need evidence of. Just take loads of photos every day

Yeah i think thats my best bet just take loads of pictures as the college im with dont do the nvq. Im self employed and work through agencies so hoping i get a job beginning to end and will be able to get alot of the photo evidence. Going to start emailing my cv to different companies as can imagine it being much easier when having the assessors visit site.

Do not be shocked when you see what is expected as proof (photos)

I was awaiting my portfolio and in the meantime I had a few little installs. I took loads of pictures and when the portfolio turned up I thought I had it in the bag. I was wrong.

If it's a.pictire with you in then your face needs to be seen but not looking at the camera as that's classed as a pose.

You will need pictures of you talking with other trades, ordering stock, recieving stock, checking delivery notes, cleaning, doing the manual work (measuring, cutting, drilling, terminating, testing) reading manuals, reading risk assesments/method statements... The list is crazy.

You also need photos of you instructing labourers and watching other electricians work.

Even the recently past lads are shocked how it's changed.

It's possible but you have to do alot of asking favours with fellow trades etc

You will need alot of photo's! just the H&S units you will need photo's of you sweeping up, working with other trades, using barriers, using signage, fire exits/stations, signing in/out of workplace, checking work area remains safe for continued work, PPE in use, checking tools and equipment is safe (i.e 110v), securing tools safely in site box/van/ locked room, materials and storage areas, proper use of barriers, signage, first aid book, RA+MS with supervisor, drawings, 3 types of access equipment and checking its safe, pics of you with the client ect ect, and thats just for H&S units. Other units you need to have pics of the equipment before and after install, measuring, laser levels, proper drill bits....... its endless. Its easier to just take a picture of anything and everything with you in the photo. Im finding its all about the stuff around the outside if you see what I mean, not just the doing it.

By the sound of it it's changed since I did it but a lot of it isn't about electrical work at all - things like if you have a turnstile to get on the site you could get a picture of you going through that, receiving deliveries, correctly disposing of waste, what to do in an emergency such as the first aid procedure and fire muster point, where to store your tools at the end of the day and interacting with the other workers on site.

You should be in as many photos as you can; there are few things worse than taking a load of pictures to be told they're useless because you're not in them. It is an electrical NVQ though and not a photography NVQ - as long as you can see what's happening and make out that it's you in the picture nobody's going to be scrutinising them too much.

Didnt expect to have to take pictures of all that!! It is abit of a pain as im working through agencies and its hard to build relationships as alot of the time only short term contracts. Ive got a year til i finish my L3 so plenty of time to get snapping! Do you recon you can get away with selfies be a pain asking randomers to take photos all the time lol

Didnt expect to have to take pictures of all that!! It is abit of a pain as im working through agencies and its hard to build relationships as alot of the time only short term contracts. Ive got a year til i finish my L3 so plenty of time to get snapping! Do you recon you can get away with selfies be a pain asking randomers to take photos all the time lol

For some photos yeh but you need photos are you talking with other trades, talking with supervisor, talking with delivery person's, delegating work to labourers etc...

Basically there is still alot of photos with you and somebody else involved

All of my NVQ pictures were selfies, and not particularly good ones either, but they showed what they needed to.
What you might struggle with is the testing - on agency jobs all the testing tends to be done at the end when all the agency guys have been dispensed with.

Reply to NVQ WHAT TO EXPECT??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net