Discuss odd electrical issue in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

dimuc

-
Reaction score
Hi There

I am new here and I am not an electrician :) apologies in advance if this message is a bit fluffy.

I had a fault with an old relay and pid/timer controlled system. The issue with this system resulted in a pair of heaters (connected to a relay) turning on even when the timer was off as a result the relay over heated and burnt out and kept having to be replaced.

The new system recently installed comprises of the same 16 radiant heaters connected via new 8 x receivers which are controlled by a new single thermostat. A pair of heaters is connected to 1 receiver.

After several weeks of operating correctly the new system is now turning on a pair of heaters outside of the set times on the controller which is similar to the issue on the old system. I have not changed anything and my electrician who installed both systems is stumped as to why this is happening.

Therefore I am reaching out on this forum and would welcome any advice or checks to help diagnose the problem.

Heaters:
Elztrip EZ100 | Radiant heaters | www.frico.se - http://www.frico.se/en/products/Radiant-Heaters/radiant-heaters/elztrip-ez100/

Receiver/thermostat:
SunStatRF (wireless) - http://www.sunvic.co.uk/products/programmable-room-thermostats/sunstatrf/

Thanks

dimuc - an interesting problem. We need more information from you to consider in order to think about why the installation was working correctly for a while and isn't now. Could you provide some pictures and/drawings of the layout of the heaters, receivers and thermostat (- is it just one thermostat?) including doors, windows and lighting. How do you use the thermostat? : - leave it alone, often switch between modes, ever select Manual Override, Holiday Mode, Frost Protection? Could you tell us the TPI settings? - see Installation Instructions page 2of3. What is the power of each heater? Could someone be altering the thermostat modes/settings?

(We used to have a similar type of radio thermostat for our home gas central heating. We never found it very easy to use or reliable so I swapped for the same make's simple radio thermostat without the timer functionality.)

Could there be another wireless thermostat close by in someone else's premises which happens to be on the same code as yours?

If that was the case then all the heaters would come on as they are all paired with the thermostat.

Not necessarily. Depends on the strength of the pairwise signal between the remote thermostat and each receiver, and the amount of radio frequency interference picked up by each receiver.

I think you have indicated that it is only one pair of heaters/one receiver being troublesome - am I right?

H
dimuc - an interesting problem. We need more information from you to consider in order to think about why the installation was working correctly for a while and isn't now. Could you provide some pictures and/drawings of the layout of the heaters, receivers and thermostat (- is it just one thermostat?) including doors, windows and lighting. How do you use the thermostat? : - leave it alone, often switch between modes, ever select Manual Override, Holiday Mode, Frost Protection? Could you tell us the TPI settings? - see Installation Instructions page 2of3. What is the power of each heater? Could someone be altering the thermostat modes/settings?

(We used to have a similar type of radio thermostat for our home gas central heating. We never found it very easy to use or reliable so I swapped for the same make's simple radio thermostat without the timer functionality.)

Hi there is only one thermostat and it is left alone, power of each heater is 1.5kw. In terms of design I don't have any pic, however...

A pair of heaters is connected to a fuse spur and receiver, the wiring then terminates into a fuse box.

Btw I should make it clear that this is a commercial install for my business unit.

Not necessarily. Depends on the strength of the pairwise signal between the remote thermostat and each receiver, and the amount of radio frequency interference picked up by each receiver.

I think you have indicated that it is only one pair of heaters/one receiver being troublesome - am I right?

Thats correct, only 1 pair and receiver at the moment.

On the old system it was the same pair and at least one other pair would do the same thing.

Therefore I am reluctant to think its not the new equipment as the issue is similar to the old equipment. The only thing that has not changed is the actual wiring if that makes sense.

Here is a simple trial. Remove the batteries from your thermostat so that it cannot send a signal to the receivers. Then keep an eye on the 3 indicator lamps of each receiver. Could you tell us what you observe? The apparent random on/off means you will have to do this over several hours maybe longer.

Last edited:
odd electrical issue {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Reply to odd electrical issue in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock