Discuss Odd fault in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

SPARTYKUS

Hello

not done a new post for a while

was at me mates house yesterday and he said sometimes his TV appears to momentarily loose the signal for a split second, then the video and sound are from then onwards, out of sync by a second or so.

its a free view digital signal he's talking about.

if he switches the blighter off and on again (ha! Of course! Always works!) then it returns to normal.

anyone seen or heard of this, or can shed any light?

I can can only surmise that the TV Is faulty. Can we how a delay like that could be caused by a poor signal, etc.

I’ve had loads of Christmas cheer so I could be talking out of my @rse but the television sound signal travels in a straight line from transmitter to your antenna. The television video signal however travels a much longer distance to a satellite in a geostationary orbit and then back to your antenna. Therefore by their very nature they will be out of sync. So me thinks the processing inside the freeview box that should be synchronising both of them is no longer functional. Try hitting it with your leftover turkey, and if that doesn’t work, pretend you’re watching a poorly dubbed martial arts movie.:santa1:

This chap (good mate) has a Hitachi, it's up on the wall, I'll pass that trick on to him.

he asked me because I'm a sparky so he thought I might know the answer {*cough*} so I have had to {*cough*} resort to asking on an Internet Forum. God the shame.......

Merry Chrimbo owt lad.:santa1: You really need to learn to provide us with all the relevant information, so that we can tailor our answers to your skill level. Had we known your professional reputation was hanging in the balance, we would have made more of an effort.
Hitachi TV’s are famous for inspiring the next model. As a result, they include monitoring software that tracks your viewing pleasures. Now if that TV was tuned into Babestation for extended periods. And the stations babes fail to live up to Hitachi’s expectations or their training appears to be lacking behind industry perceived standards, then the TV is within it’s technological rights to withhold all or part of it’s service. The easiest way to check this without the use of an MFT, is to see if your mate has gone blind and uses excessive amounts of tissue paper.:biggrin:

I’ve had loads of Christmas cheer so I could be talking out of my @rse but the television sound signal travels in a straight line from transmitter to your antenna. The television video signal however travels a much longer distance to a satellite in a geostationary orbit and then back to your antenna. Therefore by their very nature they will be out of sync. So me thinks the processing inside the freeview box that should be synchronising both of them is no longer functional. Try hitting it with your leftover turkey, and if that doesn’t work, pretend you’re watching a poorly dubbed martial arts movie.:santa1:
What's new :biggrin:

Hello

not done a new post for a while

was at me mates house yesterday and he said sometimes his TV appears to momentarily loose the signal for a split second, then the video and sound are from then onwards, out of sync by a second or so.

its a free view digital signal he's talking about.

if he switches the blighter off and on again (ha! Of course! Always works!) then it returns to normal.

anyone seen or heard of this, or can shed any light?

I can can only surmise that the TV Is faulty. Can we how a delay like that could be caused by a poor signal, etc.
I find it happens a lot on sky TV, I have to power the box off for a minute or so to get the speech and picture to sync, that is HD pictures as well, so maybe that is something to do with it, a HD issue.

What's new :biggrin:
You know me well…lol. Hope you’re having an enjoyable Christmas!:santa1:

There is a lot of video processing going on inside a TV. This means the image starts falling behind the sound. So the sound has to be delayed and then synchronised again, usually using software. Some equipment have settings such as “Games mode” etc which allows you to alter the time delay settings. Don’t know if Hitachi have this option? Might be worth a bit of a tinker with the settings before your mate throws the freeview box away and heads for the boxing day sales for a new one.

Usually indicative of a poor quality signal. The audio and video packets are transmitted separately along with an STC (system time clock), it's the job of the software to display the approp audio and video packets according to the STC. A lot of DVB sw is buggy and doesn't recover, changing channel to another channel (pref on a different bouquet) and back again briefly should force a resync. If the decoder has both strength and quality indicators try to max out the quality (ignoring stength) when positioning the aerial (or dish in the sat case).

Reply to Odd fault in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock