Discuss Odd fluorescent tube goings on. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

GBDamo

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Had an interesting situation today.

Playing about putting new tubes and starters in four fittings, found one pair of tubes where when new tubes and starters fitted the tubes didn't come on.

When I put the old starters back in with the new tubes they came on.

All tubes and starters were compatible and from the same manufacturer.

What could cause this?

My guess is that a used starter is more bendy (technical term) through use and it's a sign that the ballast is on its last legs.

You have probably got a duff starter, if you swap it out for 2 new ones you know work you will probably find the tubes strike ok (as the old ones showed)... it can be confusing because you have 2 starters that need to work in order for any of the tubes to strike.

You have probably got a duff starter, if you swap it out for 2 new ones you know work you will probably find the tubes strike ok (as the old ones showed)... it can be confusing because you have 2 starters that need to work in order for any of the tubes to strike.
Went through a box and all were the same, weirdly put the old starters in and they worked.

You have got the wrong starters by the sound of it, you need series starters usually 4-22watt with series written on them, this is why they don't work.
Wasn't aware of the difference and haven't seen this before. Will look into this.

You may be best replacing the old ones, if any are partly burnt out with trying to start failing tubes then they may fail on your new tubes and massively reduce life expectancy of tubes.

Wasn't aware of the difference and haven't seen this before. Will look into this.

We all go through a learning curve, it's one of those mistakes you really only make once, now you know you should be fine in future, to note!, not all 2ft multi tube fittings are series wired, always check or take both options if ever called out.

Starter | Sylvania Lighting Solutions - http://www.sylvania-lighting.com/product/en-gb/products/0024432

On the listing it say type T5 ... if this is the tube size then are your tubes T5 ?
It does seem they do have duel purpose, maybe a phone call to technical, if I recall using Sylvania I used FS22 for standard T8 tubes but not sure if that is what they mean in their listing.

EDIT - just read data section, they should be ok for lamps with a diameter up to 21.5mm so they seem to be the right ones, I would contact Sylvania tech' or you wholesaler then for advice on why they are not working.

Last edited:
Starter | Sylvania Lighting Solutions - http://www.sylvania-lighting.com/product/en-gb/products/0024432

On the listing it say type T5 ... if this is the tube size then are your tubes T5 ?
It does seem they do have duel purpose, maybe a phone call to technical, if I recall using Sylvania I used FS22 for standard T8 tubes but not sure if that is what they mean in their listing.

No, T8s, god this would be easier if I put all the relevant information in one post.

edited

Head a bit pickled after a three hour drive home, traffic a nightmare.

Reply to Odd fluorescent tube goings on. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock