Discuss Off Peak heating arrangements in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
IMG_1079.PNG hi...

I've been sent the attached image and arranged to visit the property to assess numerous issues.

The system seems to have an off peak switched supply that feeds straight into the current board and through a separate main switch and breaker.

The board defiantly needs replacing and I presume the correct arrangement is a separate (garage style) board for the off-peak supply.

Is this also considered as an Additional Supply too and so require warning sign?

Thanks

View attachment 38746 hi...

I've been sent the attached image and arranged to visit the property to assess numerous issues.

The system seems to have an off peak switched supply that feeds straight into the current board and through a separate main switch and breaker.

The board defiantly needs replacing and I presume the correct arrangement is a separate (garage style) board for the off-peak supply.

Is this also considered as an Additional Supply too and so require warning sign?

Thanks
Why a Garage type unit, why not a decent non combustible consumers unit. and why a warning lable, what sort of warning were you thinking of?

I wouldn't be making any assumptions until you've been to site .......... and you have a copy of the EICR .................. AND that you agree with the codings..................

Never seen a Square D mantle board, interesting. As the Doc says go to site and look behind the existing to see what is involved and hope it is all T&E and not singles because singles will be very difficult to contain within a new CU. You can get dual tariff boards but not sure for a gap that size.

Thanks guys.

They've had an EICR and it is full of C's... mainly due to no RCD protection from ancient board.

IR readings check out okay but I would be repeating tests before committing to any quotes etc.

Dual board sounds like an good solution but agree the space is very limited. Not sure from photo what suitable space is available outside of that recess?

As for the note suggesting no warning sign for additional/alternative supply, any thoughts on this? An off peak switch is surely not considered as an alternative/additional supply because there is still essentially only one main supply?

There is no need for a notice as there is no alternative supply it all comes from the same source. No reason why you cannot put a note to the effect it is dual tariff but anyone working on it should undertake safe isolation procedures.

The various C codes were generally related to lack of RCD protection and a few broken accessories/pendants. It had accompanying photos so seems legit at first glance.

I've suggested to client that based on th report I'd want to give it a thorough check myself too.

Also, looking at the attached photo, surely they should all be 25mm cables. The small black and red cables look totally wrong?

No types listed.

The sockets and lights are shown as being on the same circuit with 2.5/1.5 cables. So that'll be interesting to see how that has been wired up??

I don't want to make too many assumptions prior to visiting the site but I'm already thinking Full Rewire...

They've also asked for 5 inter-linked smoke detectors which makes me think it could be a premises of let? Will that require mor consideration or is that not my concern?

The cabling to and from the off peak switch, is that the Suppliers responsibility?

I have suggested they get their supplier to fit a main isolating switch so I presume this situation will be checked and rectified at the same time.

Wylex make a dual tariff skeleton board that bolts directly in to the mantel/Clifton cabinets. There are two versions 320 wide fixing centres and 430 wide fixing centres...By the looks of it, the one in the pic is 430 wide fixing centres but measure it.

Part number F43NMHIIX12DT for 430 wide fixing centres.

Part number FALNMHIIX9DT for 320 wide fixing centres.

IMG_1150.jpg

The small cables from the cut-out are the live and neutral to feed the time switch, normally 4 or 6 mm, the smaller black is a switched neutral to change the meter from low to normal rate, but the first red should be 25mm, as it is the load feed to the time switch from the connector block.

Reply to Off Peak heating arrangements in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net