Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Off Peak heating arrangements in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Chrisknowlesuk

Chrisknowlesuk Active EF Member

IMG_1079.PNG hi...

I've been sent the attached image and arranged to visit the property to assess numerous issues.

The system seems to have an off peak switched supply that feeds straight into the current board and through a separate main switch and breaker.

The board defiantly needs replacing and I presume the correct arrangement is a separate (garage style) board for the off-peak supply.

Is this also considered as an Additional Supply too and so require warning sign?

Thanks

2. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Why a Garage type unit, why not a decent non combustible consumers unit. and why a warning lable, what sort of warning were you thinking of?

3. Chrisknowlesuk

Sorry by garage unit I meant a smaller CCU with RCD main switch and minimum number of mcbs.

The image came with a report suggesting it was missing an 'Alternative/Additional Supply' warning notice

4. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

I wouldn't be making any assumptions until you've been to site .......... and you have a copy of the EICR .................. AND that you agree with the codings..................

5. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Electrician's Arms

Never seen a Square D mantle board, interesting. As the Doc says go to site and look behind the existing to see what is involved and hope it is all T&E and not singles because singles will be very difficult to contain within a new CU. You can get dual tariff boards but not sure for a gap that size.

6. Chrisknowlesuk

Thanks guys.

They've had an EICR and it is full of C's... mainly due to no RCD protection from ancient board.

IR readings check out okay but I would be repeating tests before committing to any quotes etc.

Dual board sounds like an good solution but agree the space is very limited. Not sure from photo what suitable space is available outside of that recess?

As for the note suggesting no warning sign for additional/alternative supply, any thoughts on this? An off peak switch is surely not considered as an alternative/additional supply because there is still essentially only one main supply?

7. westward10

There is no need for a notice as there is no alternative supply it all comes from the same source. No reason why you cannot put a note to the effect it is dual tariff but anyone working on it should undertake safe isolation procedures.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Whats the justification for "full of C2's"?

Making money for the company who did the EICR

RCBO's would be a better solution - and more compact too.

9. Chrisknowlesuk

Thanks for the advice

10. Chrisknowlesuk

The various C codes were generally related to lack of RCD protection and a few broken accessories/pendants. It had accompanying photos so seems legit at first glance.

I've suggested to client that based on th report I'd want to give it a thorough check myself too.

Also, looking at the attached photo, surely they should all be 25mm cables. The small black and red cables look totally wrong?

11. westward10

As a matter of interest what Type are they calling the protective devices in the Report.

12. Chrisknowlesuk

No types listed.

The sockets and lights are shown as being on the same circuit with 2.5/1.5 cables. So that'll be interesting to see how that has been wired up??

I don't want to make too many assumptions prior to visiting the site but I'm already thinking Full Rewire...

They've also asked for 5 inter-linked smoke detectors which makes me think it could be a premises of let? Will that require mor consideration or is that not my concern?

13. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    They do look like single insulated cables to/from the off peak meter. Perhaps I can't see straight? o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Chrisknowlesuk

The cabling to and from the off peak switch, is that the Suppliers responsibility?

I have suggested they get their supplier to fit a main isolating switch so I presume this situation will be checked and rectified at the same time.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Leesparkykent

Leesparkykent You Rock Gmes Staff Member Trusted Advisor

Wylex make a dual tariff skeleton board that bolts directly in to the mantel/Clifton cabinets. There are two versions 320 wide fixing centres and 430 wide fixing centres...By the looks of it, the one in the pic is 430 wide fixing centres but measure it.

Part number F43NMHIIX12DT for 430 wide fixing centres.

Part number FALNMHIIX9DT for 320 wide fixing centres.

IMG_1150.jpg

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Percyprod

Percyprod Regular EF Member

The small cables from the cut-out are the live and neutral to feed the time switch, normally 4 or 6 mm, the smaller black is a switched neutral to change the meter from low to normal rate, but the first red should be 25mm, as it is the load feed to the time switch from the connector block.