Discuss Off peak immersion working during the day? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys could I get some advice?

I went to a customers house to change a thermostat in a thermal store (Gledhill pulsacoil 3) and the spur was labelled "off peak water heater".

I isolated supply and replaced stat. However it appears to have a live supply all the time? I used a clamp meter and it is drawing 13 amps. This was around 1pm.

Her consumer unit has a little indicator that flicks from black to red when it is off peak. Could this mean that she always has power to heater but it is cheaper to use at night? Just trying to get her an answer if any of you know?

With some economy setups you can manually override it and use outside the cheaper period but obviously it costs more. Examples being very cold weather where storage heaters are on max all day. It depends on the set up though. Most eco7 systems i see around here are dead as a dodo during the day and cant be over ridden. But like magic come on at night. Also just because the system is set up as a eco system doesnt mean it has not at some stage been altered with the night time cheaper cu being fed from the main daytime board or henley block on the tails possibly even bypassing the eco7 meter or radioswitch thingy.

Have you checked the wiring at the CU and /or tariff switch ?
Does it look like it has been altered ?

Hiya I have not. I am a humble plumber and was just wondering if it was a common occurrence that I have not happened upon.

The meter had 2 reading and both are going up the customer says so I assume the economy 7 is wired up and not completely bypassed?

My next thought is to say to her to put immersion on at night and see what the readings say in the morning. If economy 7 reading goes up then it must be able to be used during the day and then goes to off peak when programmed to.

I think some of those systems have a 24/7 supply ............ so is it wired and switched properly?

Was there another 13A supply close to the one you switched off?

Some suppliers have different off peak systems. Economy 7 as everyone knows... Economy 10 which gives everything a boost through the day and Economy 2000.
That's Scottish Power's invention.

Some E7 systems have a boost programmer, so you can turn on the immersion during the day. (grey box, bigger than a double socket with a white dial) Maybe this is kaput and on all the time

Agree checking if its Economy 10 or similar, in the first instance. Ones I've worked have an on period in the afternoon, early evening but shorter overnight period. Ask your client to check with their fuel supplier.

Great thanks so much for your suggestions. She does have a boost for the top immersion wired right next to this one.

Just this business of her CU having a little RCD style black / red indicator for eco 7 which I found odd.

Thanks again everyone. Will update when I know more.

Some off peak systems still have mechanical time switches, and although they have either a clockwork or battery back up to take over in the event of a power cut, it doesn't always work, so when the power comes back on the clock is at the wrong time.

And just recently I've worked in a bungalow built around 1968 for new owners and the old mechanical timeclock hasn't budged from 1.30am over a 3 week period. [Various visits]. Needless to say the customer has advised her supplier. :)

That is a 4 pole contactor which presumably switches the outputs of the 3 heater mcbs and should also do the off peak water heater.

Do the heaters work as they should - i.e. come on over night?

Is there a timeclock any where nearby to control the contactor? The mcb top left is marked as contactor.

That is a 4 pole contactor which presumably switches the outputs of the 3 heater mcbs and should also do the off peak water heater.

Is there a timeclock any where nearby to control the contactor? The mcb top left is marked as contactor.

Great info! Thank you.

No there is no timeclock. It is a high rise in Manchester and there is a room full of meters and some markings to do with radio timers or something? The heaters she has had replaced and they now come on during the day which she has had for years but she swears that the off peak heater used to come on at night only.

Great info! Thank you.

No there is no timeclock. It is a high rise in Manchester and there is a room full of meters and some markings to do with radio timers or something? The heaters she has had replaced and they now come on during the day which she has had for years but she swears that the off peak heater used to come on at night only.

Does the red indicator show during the day, or only during off peak hours?
If you switch off the mcb marked contactor does the contactor clonk out?

Reply to Off peak immersion working during the day? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock