Discuss Off peak switch for boiler in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I've moved into a new flat and have managed to change my tariff with EDF to a better value plan. There is a cheaper price for evening use.

I have two switches on the wall and connected to my boiler one that says "off peak". They were both switched on when I moved in and I am not sure how it works. If I want the boiler to work at night only, do I leave the "off peak" watched on and the other off?

May be an odd question but was hoping there would be someone with a similar setup?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FApNV87q4Yb9QOGi2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PNf4z3qdUaF6xejV2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/B5pkqyvzrnIwT5PW2

Thanks

The off peak will be wired to the lower element.
Leave it on and let it heat up over night.
If you need a boost during the day turn the other switch on for a bit.
Very common set up.

The off peak will be wired to the lower element.
Leave it on and let it heat up over night.
If you need a boost during the day turn the other switch on for a bit.
Very common set up.

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I'll give that a go.

The little light on the switch never comes on which was confusing me.

Do I leave it on all the time or manually switch on at night?

It will only come on when the off peak electric supply is 'active' if it isn't broken.
Look at 1 in the morning, it should be on then.

Have you got two consumer units ?. As the previous post said to turn off top immersion heater and see if light comes on and water gets hot overnight, it might be worth finding out what the cheap rate hours are.

As has been said, leave the offpeak one switched on at all times, the power to that circuit should only be on when the economy times kick in. There may be an additional switch for the boost element somewhere a bit easier to access in the house (quite often an E30 in the kitchen, see picture below) if you have one of these then you are as well to leave the other switch on in the cupboard too and use the the E30 when required.

It's worth noting that the neon light on the switch may not work!

Off peak switch for boiler {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

As has been said, leave the offpeak one switched on at all times, the power to that circuit should only be on when the economy times kick in. There may be an additional switch for the boost element somewhere a bit easier to access in the house (quite often an E30 in the kitchen, see picture below) if you have one of these then you are as well to leave the other switch on in the cupboard too and use the the E30 when required.

It's worth noting that the neon light on the switch may not work!

Off peak switch for boiler {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Thanks guys, I tried this last night but woke up to no hot water.

There is randomly another switch in the kitchen that says "hot water" but that doesn't need to be on for the water to get hot so I think it's reduntant, but I will leave this on and see if the off peak works tonight.

I can't find any thermostats or controlled for the boiler apart from those switches.

Depending on tonight's test, I will have to tell the landlord to get an electrician in.

View attachment 15104757121641010990933.jpg

As has already been mentioned if you have off peak loads there will be a second consumer unit serving your off peak water heater and perhaps storage heaters, check the main switch is on.

As has already been mentioned if you have off peak loads there will be a second consumer unit serving your off peak water heater and perhaps storage heaters, check the main switch is on.
Do you have a photo of this?

Hi all, having looked at this the seperately off peak circuit breaker was off. I switched on and the off peak switch light was on.

However, the buzzing noise from the circuit board was so loud we had to sleep with ear plugs! This is probably why the previous Tennant's turned it off and used the boost only.

Any ideas how to resolve this and what is causing it?

Thanks.

Hi all, having looked at this the seperately off peak circuit breaker was off. I switched on and the off peak switch light was on.

However, the buzzing noise from the circuit board was so loud we had to sleep with ear plugs! This is probably why the previous Tennant's turned it off and used the boost only.

Any ideas how to resolve this and what is causing it?

Thanks.
Get an electrician in to check the board and possibly replace the circuit breaker(s).

I think it's definitely time to get a sparky in to confirm exactly how things are set up, and that it is wired correctly/ safely.

Reply to Off peak switch for boiler in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock