Discuss Off the wagon... Need advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Morning all. Newbie here but sure I'll keep a finger on the pulse now I've joined the forum.

I was a self employed sparky for about 8 years. I sold all my test gear and packed in 5 years ago to pursue my passion of music... Sadly though, I've fallen off the wagon due to a new house purchase and just bought an old MFT on ebay for peanuts. Not calibrated mind you, but I aren't too bothered.

Anyway waffling done,
As stated above, I've just bought my first house and am looking to have a wonderful festive break of rewiring and replastering the 90yr old beauty of a deathtrap I am going to be calling home for the next few decades. I'm a bit out of the game these days with what's new and fancy and what's the next s*** fad that won't last.

So lads and ladies... I am here simply to ask you (still suffering) sages of the sparky world what is worth spending my money on. It's a 3 bed semi, with garden and a separate garage.

I'm going to be fully rewiring the lot so throw in any suggestions to add to my list.

Thanks in avance

- a reluctantly dragged out of retirement sparky (masquerading as a musician)

LED lighting...Collingwood, Integral, Aurora are good. Avoid cheap Screwfix etc, false economy. Crabtree starbreaker amd 3 DB with RCBO's. Nothing much has changed in 5 yrs mate. Just avoid cheap stuff same as then, and don't forget the amd 3 requirements for non combustible DB's.
How are you planning register the job with BC?

Smoke alarms. Specific requirements for the kitchen if you have no current plans, perhaps pull in separate cables for use later. As your rewiring, think about the positioning of the CU.

Echo those thoughts on calibration & compliance

Don’t forget your network cabling and any other AV hard wire techie stuff you may or may not be into.

If I was rewiring my house, I'd put in cabling for some emergency lighting plus test key switches, since a power cut or two a year has been the norm here.

Fridge and / or freezer on dedicated radials - on MCB's - no RCD protection

Don’t forget your network cabling and any other AV hard wire techie stuff you may or may not be into.

This is more the vein of what I was asking about. What's hot new tech that I won't have heard of?

Thanks for the heads up on the non combustible DBs too. Hadn't read the ammendments yet. I was 17th edition last I worked with no ammendments up to that point. Seems to have mixed reactions from what I've read this morning. What do you guys feel about it? I wouldn't mind myself if I were still working. Can see the problems with wholesalers getting stiffed on stock though.

As a stickler for compliance, I still have many contacts within the industry. All my work will be compliant with regs and certified by a competent person. Yes I will get the mft calibrated. Just amazed that I've managed to get a functional (if not a little dated) tester for the price.

Thanks for all your input so far all.

Smoke alarms. Specific requirements for the kitchen if you have no current plans, perhaps pull in separate cables for use later. As your rewiring, think about the positioning of the CU.

Echo those thoughts on calibration & compliance

Yes thanks. I already have a handful of extra cables to run in mind for future use. Additional lighting on landing and stairs for night use. Potential underfloor heating upgrades if I ever renovate the bathroom. Some circuits for the attic when I eventually board that out. Hadn't thought about it until now but just added emergency lighting to that list and the things I haven't thought about yet etc. The consumer unit is currently in the kitchen which is OK so I'll probably leave it there as moving it to where I would ideally like it means paying for about 20km of tails I'd rather not run via the crawl space under the house.

As above and heat detector for kitchen, network cabling to a central point where the Internet hardware is to be located and space for a NAS, patch panel and anything else.

You like your music so maybe Sonos or something similar maybe ceiling speakers etc etc also don't forget about the man cave ANA "The Garage" power for beer fridge and pin ball table a must.

Newer stuff, trimless LED fitting, stair lights etc

What did you do music wise out of interest.

Trimless and stair lights,Off the wagon... Need advice Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 09.10.06 - EletriciansForums.netOff the wagon... Need advice Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 09.10.27 - EletriciansForums.net

As above and heat detector for kitchen, network cabling to a central point where the Internet hardware is to be located and space for a NAS, patch panel and anything else.

You like your music so maybe Sonos or something similar maybe ceiling speakers etc etc also don't forget about the man cave ANA "The Garage" power for beer fridge and pin ball table a must.

Newer stuff, trimless LED fitting, stair lights etc

What did you do music wise out of interest.

Trimless and stair lights,View attachment 39629View attachment 39630

Lovely install. I am looking at low light stair lights but going to have to fit them on the stair uprights rather than the sides which might cause some mild annoyance when walking up them. So need to investigate that. My other thoughts were a dim LED strip along the sides but I don't want it to look like a landing strip at MEN.

I quit sparking to teach. I'm a well graded Muso so I make my coin these days by private tuition through an established local music school and a bit of private work. I teach mostly Guitar and Bass. However I also do Piano, Mandolin, Banjo, Ukulele and a handful of other strings. Subsidised by a few cover bands here and there too. I do have an original band that net's us a whopping £6.50 on average a year through Spotify. Bet you feel star-struck now eh...
The money isn't as good as sparking was, but it is still a solid wage and I have a lot less sleepless nights future proofing my income. I also don't miss having to chase invoices from all over the country. It's a career I do miss though. The fault finding when you nail a tricky issue, or when you power up a huge install for the first time after tests and bask in the glory of being a god of electricity. Honestly though, I miss opening a nightmare board, stripping it to component parts, moving the main breakers and RCDs and then leaving a job with a lovely, tidy, well marked distribution board that you want to photograph and frame above the fireplace. Ah the joys.

Again thanks all for the input so far all.

I think the emergency lighting is the one I have overlooked. Never even considered it, but I'll probably run at least 2 or 3 now just for the sake of it.
And indeed, the speakers were on my list. Not sure whether to use sonos (my friend has one and I love it) or to run some other Bluetooth setup or WiFi speakers.

Either way I'm excited to get designing a cool rewire. Found one of the sockets with old tin alloy cables and cracked annealed rubber cable sheathing. Lovely jubbley.

To be honest I wouldn't bother about emergency lighting as houses have enough ambient light to see your way around.

My install was done by another electrician as if was a flat rebuild that I did, you can integrate an LED strip to the underside of a handrail on the stairs or there are other options.

Led's for under cupboard lighting, multiple sockets in comms/office lots to think about, the design part is the fun part.

I like you also quit sparking but back in the late 80's early 90's when the UK building trade nose dived and went into data cabling then IT, I have an interest in music as well after spending a good few years at EMI and then Virgin, the free beer, parties, VIP passes and loose women can become addictive.

To be honest I wouldn't bother about emergency lighting as houses have enough ambient light to see your way around.

My install was done by another electrician as if was a flat rebuild that I did, you can integrate an LED strip to the underside of a handrail on the stairs or there are other options.

Led's for under cupboard lighting, multiple sockets in comms/office lots to think about, the design part is the fun part.

I like you also quit sparking but back in the late 80's early 90's when the UK building trade nose dived and went into data cabling then IT, I have an interest in music as well after spending a good few years at EMI and then Virgin, the free beer, parties, VIP passes and loose women can become addictive.
Haha yeah. I've worked through MTV a fair bit in my time too. Wrap parties and launch parties we're always terrible. Ending up in a producers flat until 8am the next day along with a load of terrible characters. Fun times indeed. Glad I've grown up though now haha.

What was your role at the labels then?

What was your role at the labels then?
Number 1 blagger.

I worked in IT so circulated in all departments, my boss was majorly annoyed when I bounded up the stairs of the Astoria at the "private" Radiohead gig as the A+R's PA sorted me out a ticket at the last minute.

My finest moment was getting 6 free tickets for Glastonbury 1999 and back stage camping, if you have the poster you can see my tent lol......

Oh apart from shagging Van Morrisons PA on a bean bag..........

Number 1 blagger.

I worked in IT so circulated in all departments, my boss was majorly annoyed when I bounded up the stairs of the Astoria at the "private" Radiohead gig as the A+R's PA sorted me out a ticket at the last minute.

My finest moment was getting 6 free tickets for Glastonbury 1999 and back stage camping, if you have the poster you can see my tent lol......

Oh apart from shagging Van Morrisons PA on a bean bag..........
She wasn't called GLORIA by any chance? Haha. Sounds like a fun chapter of life.

Reply to Off the wagon... Need advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock