Discuss Off the wagon... Need advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Being wasted on the way back from the pub watching England in the World Cup (2 in the afternoon) I met the the PA of the Boss of Virgin on the bridge over the GU canal and got introduced to some bloke and after I shook his hand and had a chat, as I was walking away I was just about to ask "who are you" then I realised it was David Bowie, funny as I ended up working with him on a webchat a few weeks later.

She wasn't called GLORIA by any chance? Haha. Sounds like a fun chapter of life.
We all have have chapters in our lives but I have seriously ended up in some classic moments and many won't believe me but the people that know me just say, oh well thats Stefan for you.

Don't ask me about William Orbits birthday party at China Whites...........

The latest fad is wireless switching and smart stuff where the switches are placed where ever takes your fancy but the are receivers linked to lights with a permanent live feed. The MK echo range is about the only decent thing MK seem to make these days. you can control via the switches or remotes. I think they are making a app for the echo range too.

The latest fad is wireless switching and smart stuff where the switches are placed where ever takes your fancy but the are receivers linked to lights with a permanent live feed. The MK echo range is about the only decent thing MK seem to make these days. you can control via the switches or remotes. I think they are making a app for the echo range too.
I'll have a look into this. Wasn't sure about wireless. I know it will be common place, I'm just a sucker for a sturdy hard wired job. Reviews seem to be good mind you. Thanks for the input.
I'm really pleased with the forum experience so far. Thanks all

Where are you going to site your recording studio ?
The electrics in there can be sorted whilst your at it
Not too sure yet. I fancy the garage obviously. The drive is big enough for both cars without needing it and it was always going to be a viable teaching space for me anyway to work from home. Looking at the reality though, I suspect it has asbestos concrete roofing so my initial thoughts are to hang fire on that for now until I can get my mate and his team to come demolish it for a hefty fee and then build me a new one.
As I keep stating, thanks for the replies all. You're a good bunch

Plan and fit pairs of double/triples sockets so that you always have one outlet free for use. If you or family members are older think about higher sockets to avoid bending down too much. Outside sockets front and back. Security lighting and its control - eg: remote wirelessly switched? Leave plenty of spare ways in CU. Electric towel rails for drying towels in summer when CH is off. Internal night lights for low-level safety lighting.

What about provision for external or internal CCTV? I am looking into that at the moment.

Either CAT5 network cable or coax. Both seem to have advantages but I will probably go for CAT5 with power over Ethernet.
CAT 5 will do and just add a POE switch or a 4 or 8 channel NVR/DVR with POE included but to be honest I'd rather a separate POE switch and a networked recorded hidden away.

Suggest any Electric Towel Rails are all wired on a dedicated radial circuit from the CU and incorporate a timer & contactor in the CU to control them (e.g. avoids wasting energy overnight). Also suggest any outside sockets have a dedicated RCBO in the CU (outside sockets + water ingress = avoids losing any inside services). Agree with each fridge and/or freezer on dedicated radials with individual RCD/RCBO protection for each one. Try to source timers / programmable thermostats that will automatically adjust when the clocks go forward/back (some do, some don't). If you're putting electrics in the loft space, consider putting a smoke alarm up there with remote test & remote silence facility.

Reply to Off the wagon... Need advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net