Discuss Offshore Electrician Wage in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bk81

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to get into the Offshore game, I'm an electrican, got my 2391 but no offshore experience. Anyone know the chances of getting started and a wage?

I'm about to book a BOSIET, MIST and medical.

Also hoping it makes more than my current, £27.5k salary plus upto £10k in overtime

Cheers all :confused:

Welcome aboard and good luck with that.

I have to ask are you wanting to really leave a job in this climate that potentionaly pays you 37.5k a year? If your successful would you post the job advert for yours as i'm sure quite a few will be interested.

You will need your CompEx as well. My mate was getting £4k a trip, but he was working with us for months because he couldnt get back on. I'd stay where you were if i was you.

Last edited by a moderator:
have applied to the agencies, but they want at least 6 month experience? sparking is sparking wherever you go right?, been on must job types industrial, commercial, and domestic, Channel Tunnel, ohh all them years ago, glaxo welcome, CTRL, these jobs must speak volumes! but still cant get on, bah!

You've either get very lucky or know someone who gets you on usually the latter. When I was dragon LNG some off the lads were going offshore, they asked if i fancied it I said no because didnt like going to work in a helicopter over the sea. They called me a ------ but within two weeks two had crashed and they bottled it and didnt go.

Not very it was just the timing after I had said it. Funny to see there faces but I think they went with kbr to Iraq/Afgan I couldnt figure that one out.

very difficult to find off shore work. You either need to know (sometimes doesn't even help) somebody or be very lucky. 9/10 they say you must have experience, but until your off you cant get it!! its catch 22 tbh.
Loads guys have the off shore idea so you need to be able to stand out from the crowd. And also pull out the £££££ for the basic courses which dont even guarantee a job :(

good luck though :)

Unless your skilled at fault finding control systems under production pressure, experience in Ex systems, generators MV supplies, among a good few other skills, then it's doubtful your going to be successful in gaining Offshore electrical work!! Then there's all the other safety stuff you need certification for.... It's not a walk in the park, working on these off shore rigs, from what i've been told by ex offshore technicians. You might only be working 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off, but you'll be working long 12 hours shifts in a pressure oriented and dangerous environment!!!

Cheers for the posts so far guys.

I'll keep applying, won't be leaving my current job til I get somewhere else.

One of the reasons I'm looking to change industry is, from the outside, it looks like a better career path.

In my work it's spark, supervisor or boss man, doesn't look too great, good for plodding along though! ;)

Reply to Offshore Electrician Wage in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net