Discuss Oh Dear, second hand Fluke 1652 mft and cannot find the serial number? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

1shortcircuit

Please could someone be kind enough to help me out here...... please?:eek:

I recently purchased a mft from a power seller on ebay who has one hundred percent feedback. Everything looks mint and as in the photos but I cannot find a serial number anywhere:confused::(

Is the serial number traceable when calibrating the item? and if so will they usually put a new sticker on if it's missing? I'm desperate to ensure that this item is legit as quickly as possible because I need to get it calibrated pronto so that I can use it on the job that I am currently on.

PS Ordinarily I would have bought this item brand new but money just hasn't allowed just yet:eek:

Thanks in advance

not sure tbh. i know when i start my metrel up the serial number and calibration date shows up on the screen which is a nice touch. maybe worth emailing fluke

I'd contact Fluke to find out where it should be in the first instance. The calibraters need the serial number to enter on to the certificate for full tracibility. It might be worth sending an email to the power seller (or paypal if that's a payment route you took) to advise him that you might be seeking a full refund if you can't get it calibrated. After all I don't think it is "fit for purpose" if you can't get it calibrated, as what use is it to a Part P sparkie?
good luck

The serial number is located inside the battery compartment.............

As in remove the lid on the bottom and remove battery holder and it will be visible? Checked that and not a single marking :(

The seller has replied to a message that I sent Yesterday and has offered a full refund minus postage but assures me that there is nothing untoward about the unit etc etc etc and to be honest I have no reason to doubt this.

Surely with such items they get plugged into calibration equipment and the serial number comes up on their equipment? I know this type of thing can be done on car ECU's dating back before 1992?

I'm definitely going to do as suggested and contact Fluke but I really hope someone is able to help me out on here whilst I await a reply.

Thanks to all that have taken the time to reply:thumbsup

As the serial number is located in the battery compartment it is unlikely it just fell off:confused:

Does the unit look brand new? if so it is even less likely it just fell off.

Fluke did have a load of 1652B nicked recently, not suggesting this is one but it needs to be concidered i guess.

It is possable to calibrate an instrument without a serial number, a calibration lab could issue it with one for their system. The serial number is the method used to track the instrument via their software package, they use it to send reminders to customers of calibration also.

As the serial number is located in the battery compartment it is unlikely it just fell off:confused:

Does the unit look brand new? if so it is even less likely it just fell off.

Fluke did have a load of 1652B nicked recently, not suggesting this is one but it needs to be concidered i guess.

It is possable to calibrate an instrument without a serial number, a calibration lab could issue it with one for their system. The serial number is the method used to track the instrument via their software package, they use it to send reminders to customers of calibration also.

Thanks megger mark.

The item is not brand new, it has definite signs of use but is in what I would call mint condition.

It could be a case that a sticker has gone awol but obviously a concern of mine is that the serial number from the tester to my knowledge has to be recorded on test certs.

Also, this is the earlier 1652 not the B model (I think?)

I have a 1652B and bought brand new from an authorised flike dealer. Their was no serial number inside my battery compartment only a small white (removable) sticker which actually matched the calibration cert. I wouldn't worry, I think when you get it calibrated they will put a number on the machine to link it to the cert.

if you ask the calibration firm to retrieve the serial number, im sure that they could

I hope they can, fingers crossed:thumbsup

I have a 1652B and bought brand new from an authorised flike dealer. Their was no serial number inside my battery compartment only a small white (removable) sticker which actually matched the calibration cert. I wouldn't worry, I think when you get it calibrated they will put a number on the machine to link it to the cert.

Thanks eskimo. have you needed to have your meter calibrated yet?

Not yet, it is due in March 2011. I am not worried as I bought from a dealer recommended by Fluke although I was a bit surprised with the lack of an actual fixed/imprinted serial number.

if it is still within its calibration date and was a good buy then get yourself a checkbox and hande the calibration checks yourself

This one isn't calibrated.

How do members manage who don't have a serial number when it comes to filling out test certs? I thought it was compulsory for it to be recorded???

Thanks for all the replies:thumbsup

if you turn on the unit, whilst pressing the memory button, then letting go of the power button, the units serial number is displayed...

Primary display shows first four digits, the secondary display shows the second four digits.

Hi. I bought a Fluke 1651 second hand and mine didn't have a serial number, but It was calibrated through a local wholesaler without any problem. I use the certificate number they provided as it is a traceable number where it says serial number on the EIC. I bought a checkbox and keep that up to date and NICEIC were perfectly happy with it. If you got a good deal then I would double check with a company that calibrates before you send it back. Good luck

Thank you to everyone that has posted I would just like to share this link with you all.

This chap has been extremely helpful and this is where I will be getting my mft calibrated.:thumbsup
shall be using them myself. the bonus is they come to you, no shipping costs and no down time.

Reply to Oh Dear, second hand Fluke 1652 mft and cannot find the serial number? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net