Discuss oh dear you can have your cake and not eat it . in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I might be wrong but doesn't the reduction in feed in tariffs only applies to new installations. People with a solar PV system that's already installed under a previous FIT will still get their usual amount.

Homeowners with solar panels are 'giving their excess power to the grid for free' after government closes energy payment scheme
  • The Business Department has announced the closure of the 'export tariff'
  • It currently pays householders for excess power that is fed back into the grid
  • Opponents warned that ending the tariff would leave householders who install panels from April having to give away their power to energy companies free
By Joe Middleton For Mailonline

Published: 16:11, 18 December 2018 | Updated: 16:28, 18 December 2018

31 shares

View comments

The Government is closing an energy payment scheme which will mean homes with solar panels could be giving their excess power to the grid for free, provoking outrage among campaigners.

The Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy Department (Beis) has announced the closure of the 'export tariff' scheme.

It pays householders for excess power that is fed back into the grid, to new solar generators from next April.

The closure of the scheme has prompted fury among green campaigners with Dr Doug Parr, chief scientist for Greenpeace UK, describing it as 'simply perverse'.

Solar-powered households will be expected to give energy back to the grid for free after the Government opted to close a payments scheme.

The rules come into force for new solar panel owners from April. But for those who have panels installed before March 31, Telegraph Money analysis suggests an average household could continue to make £518 a year.

The Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (Beis) today announced it will stop signing new households onto the payments, known as the “export tariff”, from the end of March next year. This will mean homeowners who install solar panels after then will have no way of profiting from the excess power generated by their

why should the goverment pay for it .considering the home owner had them put on .for what it cost thousands pounds they will never get the money back ..even when they sell the house .

why should the goverment pay for it .considering the home owner had them put on .for what it cost thousands pounds they will never get the money back ..even when they sell the house .

There are a number of good reasons why the government should have paid for it and continue to honour the contracts they have with homeowners who have already got FITs contracts in place.

The first being that if governments don’t invest in or incentives these type of schemes then the cost of the technology always stays high so investment in there development stops. This is demonstrated by the fact that due to the investment in solar it’s cost has and become more effiecent. Which in turn has led to the FIT payments reducing year on year for new installs. To the point now where it is considered to be low enough that support is no longer needed.

It is also generally good for the economy as it did create jobs and invesment in the construction industry even if it was in the short term (This is the bit government always get wrong in so far as their inability to ensure this type of investment creates longterm employment). The goverment collected tax receipts from those employed during the employment boost, VAT and import duties so they probably didn’t do that badly.

It could also be argued that it has also improved the countries generating capacity at the traditional peak times around increased demand for industry etc. (Although we could have a whole other discussion about how successive governments have helped wipe that out). All at the same time adding to the mix of green generation sources helping with various targets.

In terms of those who invested (homeowners) along with the government it is only right that those contracts are honoured. If they weren't then any future government would struggle to get future schemes running. On balance the country probably benefits more from the deal and as you rightly point out most homeowners wont benifit as they will more than likely move before they cover the install costs, so the goverment is still quids in.

Done some work for a couple recently who own they house but not the panels on the roof apparently (previous owner fired em) the panels are contracted to stay there another 18 years and they don’t make a penny of em.....

Baddegg, the FIT payments should have been included in the sale. That’s a bad solicitor not picking up on it.

Shirley, whoever has PV panels is still getting free electric during the day, reducing their leccy bill. Eventually that will turn to profit.

Any other home improvement work is likely to be in the thousands... same costs as panels.

I don’t think the FIT should stop for new applicants- it will lose any momentum in fitting new carbon free energy sources, and more solar only installers will close. Anyone that has had these companies install their panels are now on here asking for advice because they can’t get original back.

Not sure on the details littlespark but yeah that was my conclusion, I think it only came to light when they tried to remortgage and it turned out they don’t own the roof which is ironic as they were remortgaging to repair the leaky roof......I’d be looking to recoup the costs through the solicitor myself,it’s a right mess.....and the install was s£:t!

Cool, I'll disconnect my meter and reappropriate that free elecktrikery for my own uses seeing as it's free floating around and not doing anything.

Lovely jubbly........

Further proof my initial thoughts were correct,way back when the PV pyramid carry-on,first started.
As for the first contracts being written in stone...the contracts themselves,contain the small print regarding repairs and refitting,which can bring them to an end,and there are a great many requiring love...

In regard to solicitors failing,unless they are genuinely incompetent,the ownership of any equipment or contract,is often brought to the attention of the purchaser,but it is then up to them,to continue the sale or not. Many do,without covenants or even accurate advice,as they are most of the way through a sale.

Some people will buy a property,regardless of the advice,and any future problems stored accordingly. The description of these folk,in house sales parlance,is "...these here,would buy this property,if it was on fire..."

I posted a while ago,regarding being approached by an outfit,looking to set up a company which would be tackling the many PV carry-ons,blighting their property. I think there is a good market.

We had the endowment job,DPC,cavity-wall ties,retro-insulation,and now PV...what we need is a super-hero,with electrical knowledge,and a link to scaffolding/powered access....might give Alan Sugar a ring...

27kW ??! The max you can install on a domestic FIT is 4kW! As for batteries - you'll need a big shed! When are you going to use all that energy you've stored? In the summer a 4kW system generates about
20kWh per day. In winter it's about 2. Store the summer surplus for the winter and you'll need a couple of garages! - to say nothing of the cost of batteries.
Ok - you probably meant 2.7kW!

Reply to oh dear you can have your cake and not eat it . in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net